EE rooster puking milky substance, bright green poop, lethargic & very hot UPDATE- he died

Back on the Farm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland
I have an EE rooster that is about 5 months old. I found him in the nest box this afternoon... He is very lethargic, has bright Kelly green poop, can't stand, & is very hot... His comb is red, but he is breathing heavy. He is drinking water but isn't eating. When I found him his crop was empty of food but full of liquid-- he then threw up what looked like watered down milk---it just ran out of his mouth.
I removed him from the coop & have him in my basement... I put a two liter frozen bottle next to him to help cool him down --- he was so hot you could feel the heat radiating off his body. Gave him ice water to drink... He is managing to drink on his own, but will drop his head and close his eyes after every drink. No rattles, no wheezing, no coughing, & no discharge from eyes or nose.

Does anyone have an idea what is going on??? The hens in the coop went after him- so they know something is up.... He was fine yesterday- eating, drinking, & running around with the hens. I even saw him try to mate with a few of my girls yesterday.
Rest of flock is acting normal... Eating drinking & hanging out in the shade. He doesn't free range so he couldn't have gotten into anything.

Last edited:
Started him on Tylan 50 last night but when I checked on him this morning he was dead. I'm thinking of sending him in for a necropsy as I don't know what he had but being Saturday the animal lab is closed. I can't find anything that really fits his symptoms & now I have a hen who is acting strangely... I was thinking botsulism because this rooster ate a dead bird, but that was two weeks ago & botsulism works quicker than that. No discharge from eyes or nose... Weird. I also thought malnutrition-because he was so thin- but I always saw him eating & drinking. He always acted more like a hen than a rooster--- wonder if it was something he was born with. Off to bag him for the lab, clean my hospital cage & move my hen in. Hopefully this isn't something that is going to wipe out my whole flock.

Back
Top Bottom