EE rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by erinszoo, Feb 7, 2012.

1. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Ok, I've posted pics of what I was told was an EE rooster here before a couple of different times at different ages. Everyone agreed it was an EE roo. So, my question is Do they ever crow or get spurs? My bird is now almost five month old and nary a crow or spur one. It's a beautiful bird ... looks like a mutt of all breeds almost with green hues and spotted chest. I'd post some pics from today but it's rained all day and it's so dreary out I can't get any. Any ideas? All the other roos I've had have started crowing around three months and definitely have spurs before now.

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    Mine was about 1 year old when he started getting spurs, but started crowing at about 5-6 months.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    varies by rooster

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I have heard that true ameraucana roos tend to be on the quite side, and the breed as a whole tend to be very late to mature, so it would be logical for EEs to inherit some of these traits. I had an EE roo named Sabre who was around 10 months old, and I never heard a crow from him. He was rehomed cause I don't want roos, and I was drowning in them...and he was most definately a roo. Had I had fewer at the time, I probably would have kept him...granted he kept pretty quite...I would have LOVED some babies from Waffle, my gold laced EE. I lost her to a predator a while back. This is Sabre. The handsome, quite roo. Note his lack of spurs as well.

[​IMG]

5. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Is he with other roos? He might be the less dominate roo, so he won't crow very often.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    No need to fret over your little guy, some roos are just late bloomers. Especially if they are less dominant. I have noticed that the late crowers tend to be more mellow and courteous of the hens, so you just might end up with the perfect rooster!

Good luck :)

7. erinszoo

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    No, no other roos at all. We didn't really want any roos because we didn't want the noise and we aren't trying to breed, just get eggs.

8. erinszoo

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    He is very mellow ... which for us is a great thing. We didn't want a rooster crowing at all hours of the morning and making the neighbors complain so the longer he puts it off the better. And he is very good with all the girls (he has 18 of them). We're just trying to make sure he is a rooster so that we know our eggs might be fertile at some point. We sell them and we've found it's better to tell people we have a rooster instead of letting them be surprised by blood spots in their eggs (since we don't candle). We may have to incubate some eggs this year then and see what we get!

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Blood spots don't have anything to do with the being fertile. A blood or meat spot happens when a small piece of repro tract or a little blood from a burst blood vessel gets "inside" the egg before the shell forms. The white spot on the side of the egg ( not the 2 rope like things) will look like a bullseye instead of just a white dot.

I am on my phone so I can't post a pic, but there is a picture of 2 yolks in My uploads album.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Your egg buyers wil never be able to tell the difference between fertilized and unfertilized eggs, except perhaps in their mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by