EE? Rumpless...does this mean Aracauna in the background?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by littledirtlanefarms, May 17, 2011.

1. littledirtlanefarms

littledirtlanefarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I purchased this sweet boy on Craigslist, I have some EE hens and was hoping that he would be a good roo for them. He is rumpless right? What color is he? I am great with silkies but I need to brush up on my EE skills. His name is Turkey, lol. He was raised in this lady's living room. He is an absolute doll. He got beat up in the pen and I couldn't stand it so he is hanging out in the kitchen, lol. He likes to take rides on my head...very personable boy!!! What do you think guys???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. he appears to be an Ameracuana EE cross. he has no feather tufts

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I think you're right, and he would be part Araucana, which are, when bred well, rumpless and tufted. Breeding is very difficult with the Araucanas. Some come out tufted with tail feathers, or rumpless without tufts, and of course breeders are always shooting for both traits, tufted and rumpless....There are some fatal genes involved which makes breeding very tricky!

That's a lucky find and he sure is cute. As for the color, I'm just not sure....Looks to be a bit of white lacing......Is he black or dark brown....Hard to tell on my screen. I believe that the leg color for the Aracauna is willow.

Anyhow he's is a cutie! Congrats!

Sharon

4. littledirtlanefarms

littledirtlanefarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern NC
    I guess he will be great for the girls! I bet an ameracauna would be good too...Thanks for the feed back! He is black on his head btw...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by