EE Rumpless?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HighNDryFarm, Jun 12, 2011.

1. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    One of the chicks that I hatched back in Feb after I lost all my girls seems to be rumpless???? She's always been one to just stay in the group, the only thing that made her stand out was she wasn't the bright black w/green iridescent that the other black chicks had. She has a brown smuttiness to her..... and she appears to be rumpless. Her mom was an EE from a hatchery, covered by my possibly Ameraucana Roo (the person I got him from said he came from a breeder but can't remember who), so EE Roo. Could one of them thrown back a gene from the Araucana? The pullet has muffs and a beard, no comb and she's about 3 1/2 months old. Watcha think?
    [​IMG]

2. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

She is a pretty little thing, have you checked her to see if she has a "parson's nose"? You know, a tail under all those rump feathers where the oil gland is. There just might be some Araucana breeding in her background. That is also a very handsome roo standing behind her- nice colors om him. Charlie

3. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:I'll have to search Parson's Nose. Since my roo (the one in this picture is from my roo) moved from our neighbors house to ours because they didn't have any other chickens and don't know much about chickens so I can't really confirm that he is Ameraucana, not EE. But she did say she bought him from a breeder but couldn't remember who. The hen (mother of the two pictured) was sold as an Ameraucana but from our local feed store so I know we have to consider her an EE.

I'm wondering what this offspring says about my roo....if anything.

Thank you for the compliment on my roo in the background, I hope I can find a good home for him. He's going to be stunning. Maybe if I have something to say about what his dad can produce, I can find him a good home.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    She doesn't look rumpless to me. If she were, she wouldn't have anything sticking up. All of her feathers would drape straight down. The roo in the background of the picture is an EE.

Here is a pic I found on Feathersite of a rumpless Araucana. This is not a picture of my bird (but I wish it was [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

5. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:Interesting, wonder what's up with my girls 'bump'. The Roo in the pic is one I hatched, he is an EE as well as the pullet in the picture. It's their sire that I'm not sure is Ameraucana since I can't confirm where he came from.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  6. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Is it possible that someone else is plucking her tail feathers? I brought home 12 adult Brahmas and not a single one of them has a tail yet. Many of them were missing feathers from their shoulders to their rumps and their toes were half plucked of the foot feathers. It was the other birds they were cooped with over the winter who plucked them. I've had them for about 2 months and they are just now starting to get all of their feathering back in.

7. HighNDryFarm

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:I'm around most of the time and they free range all day so they're not cooped up and I don't hear any commotion. They all hang together peacefully.

I took a good look to see what was up with this stubb looking tail and all the tail feathers that she does have looks healthy. That's why I started to think I had a throw back of some kind.

8. akcountrygrrl

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Maybe she's just going to have a softer ball type tail like a cochin hen has... [​IMG]

9. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    She looks like when my BA got her only tail feather pecked off!
    She's a beauty!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by