EE Senior Unbalanced

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dicaprio, Apr 6, 2018.

1. dicaprio

dicaprio Chirping

Aug 14, 2009
    Chester County
    This morning, my 8 yr old hen was walking like she was drunk. Both her feet are swollen, and no black spot on pads. Tried to diagnose it from my health book, but couldn't pinpoint the problem. She takes a few steps then seems to stumble. All I observe is that her pads are swollen. Pictures include her poop in case that is of help. Have secluded her in my closet for now.
    IMG-1777.jpg IMG-1778.jpg IMG-1781.JPG

2. dicaprio

dicaprio Chirping

Aug 14, 2009
    Chester County
    I have soaked her legs in epsom salt and coated them with a Vaseline mixture. Tonight, she is going back in the hen house, but I will isolate her again tomorrow to follow the same steps. Anyone have an idea?

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry she is not doing well.

Is her balance any better?
    I'm not sure about the swelling feet, to me it does not look like gout, but maybe fluid retention(?) Hopefully others will have a better idea.

With her age, all of her symptoms could be age related. Do a routine check of her - making sure the crop is emptying overnight, check for external parasites-look in the ears too, feel the abdomen for any bloat or swelling and consider having a fecal float to rule out worms.

Do what you can to keep her hydrated - poultry vitamins may perk her up a little.
    I wish I had more ideas - soaking the feet and applying the vaseline won't hurt her, if she seemed to enjoy it or that helps, then do that a couple of times a week.

Let us know how she is.

4. dicaprio

dicaprio Chirping

Aug 14, 2009
    Chester County
    No, her balance is off. In isolation, I've noticed she doesn't eat or drink much. I've been giving her medicated water by dropper. I've fed her cooked eggs and sardines. She is uninterested in kibble, but will eat safflower seeds. She is defficating, and there are no sign of worms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: