1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE sexing? Our tiny rescue chick is turning into quite a beauty (PICS)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SeaChick, Apr 18, 2008.

1. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Charlotte (or Charles [​IMG] ) is the chick that we "rescued" from the feed store, who was stunted and pasty-butted. She has really done amazingly well and is now bigger than one of the other EEs. She's still a little more slow-witted and clumsy than the others, and is definitely not the brightest bulb in the bunch (sorry to mix metaphors) but her feathering is just gorgeous.

I heard folks talking about sexing EEs and other rose-combs by how many ridges the comb has. At what age can you start to see that? Looks like one ridge so far. Also, what about hackle feathers on EEs? At what age would the pointy feathers be evident? She's just getting her neck feathers in now and they look squared-ff now, but would that change later if a roo?

Here are some pics of Charlotte , and a couple of all the girls. Charlotte is 5 weeks old and the others will be on Monday. (any new guesses on those Welsummer chicks' genders??)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008
  2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Pullet, in my opinion. [​IMG] My ee girls had similar sized combs at that age, the boys were larger and a lot more pink.

I love her feathering!

3. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    Awww she is pretty [​IMG] I say girl as well

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    great to see HER looking so well!!

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Oh my gosh, she's got pizazz. I love the feather coloring and the mini-muffs. The first two pics are like "are you getting my best side? maybe a little to the left...?"

Stacy, the group roost pic makes 'em look like a bunch of Marseilles sailors at a bar.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by