1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE still not laying....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChicknsRock, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ChicknsRock

ChicknsRock Overrun With Chickens

Oct 4, 2013
    Hi,
    I have an EE that's about a year old, she's small, in perfect health, free range and she hasn't laid any eggs yet. She isn't molting, and I go on everyday "Easter Egg Hunts" and have no luck in finding eggs. I put a little crate in her favorite hiding placeā€”the azalea bushes. Do you think she would start laying in it? Why isn't she laying eggs yet?
    Thanks in advance,
    ChicknsRock

[​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
  3. chickgirl66

chickgirl66 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    I was told to start layer feed at 18 wks. Can this hurt them if they aren't laying?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    She sure looks like she should be laying. Have you tried confining her for a few days to see what happens? You'd be amazed where free range birds can hide their eggs.....

5. AngryRooster

AngryRooster Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    California
  6. AngryRooster

AngryRooster Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2012
    California
    Also, you should make sure your hen is eating some oyster shells and I've heard that putting a bit of olive oil in yogurt or oatmeal and feeding it to chickens helps a bit.

7. ChicknsRock

Oct 4, 2013
    Thank you all!

8. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes it can.
    Commercially, they have a lighting program that stimulates all pullets to lay at the same time and they can safely switch to a high calcium feed. Without a lighting program or with birds of various ages, giving a 4% calcium diet can be harmful.

Starting layer at 18 weeks can be a good idea in spring and summer but not fall and winter. We just don't know when they will start laying. If they aren't building shells, they have to process the excess calcium with the kidneys. That can cause kidney damage.

1 person likes this.
  9. chickgirl66

chickgirl66 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    Got my first egg today! [​IMG]

10. ChicknsRock

Oct 4, 2013
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by