EE Stopped Laying...Again. Stress?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by prescottchicken, Mar 3, 2014.

1. prescottchicken

prescottchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2014
    Prescott Arizona
    I know WHY my hen doesn't lay. But can someone help me figure out how to help her relax? My EE/Americauna is very susceptible to stress and she's had a lot of it lately! She has only laid for about 10 weeks of her life (she's a year old). We moved and then a coyote ate her BFF and THEN a raccoon got an arm in the run and pulled off the head of a pullet. so now she is freaked out and also depressed that she is no longer allowed to roam free.

SO: assuming that the fortress in which my chickens now reside ceases the predator attacks, is there a way to help my little lady relax and start to lay again? Or should I just appreciate her for the funny and sweet pet that she is and get some more laying chicks this spring?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I would say, "time." Given that she has no more trauma, I would just give her time.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Time and lots of TLC. I've read once that a little ACV (apple cider vinegar) in their drinking water helps chickens overcome stress. I have not tried this myself, so I can't tell you if it's true or not, but it may be worth a try? If anything their ACV has got health benefits :)

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep......and time.......and also know that often EE's are not prolific or consistent layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by