EE that lays white eggs?!?!?!? Pic Heavy!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lolita117, Jan 31, 2012.

1. lolita117

lolita117 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    Okay, I got this chick at a local feed store last March. They sold her to me as an Ameraucana but I later found out techinically she would be an EE. Well here's the thing. She's been laying an off white colored egg and today for the first time I noticed she has white ear lobes. Is she really an EE?
    Here is a picture of her now. She is really small too.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of her and the chicks I got with her. The other 3 ended up being roos.

[​IMG]

Here is all 4 of them a little older:

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the red colored roo at around 5 months old.

[​IMG]

Also (totally separate question)
    Is this a Rhode Island Red? I got her from Murray in the Brown Egg Layers Special.

[​IMG]

2. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    yup RIR. Your EE looks like RIR to me too

3. lolita117

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    Thanks for the reply. Since the one I think is an RIR is, my unknown EE (lol) is much smaller than the RIR. And is spotted up way more. Do EE normally have white lobes? and can you get a dud EE every now and then that doesn't lay a green egg? When I got them, I was so excited about green eggs, then I ended up with only one hen out of the group and then she doesn't even lay a green egg! Her eggs are nice and big but not green [​IMG].

4. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    Your white egg layer looks somewhat like a brown leghorn...maybe a cross??

5. bloom_ss

bloom_ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Spokane Valley, WA
    I have six EEs and none of them have visible earlobes. Yours also has a single comb instead of a pea comb. Since she doesn't have a pea comb, a beard/muffs, green legs, or the blue egg laying gene, I would say she is either a cross of something else (possibly brown leghorn?), or just a regular mutt and not an EE at all.

6. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

I couldn't tell from the *ahem* angle she was presenting, but does she have cheek tufts? From the view I got she looks like my red leghorns.

7. lolita117

Mar 12, 2011
    Hestand, KY
    Well that solved my question. It hit me all of a sudden when I was looking at her today "Brown Leghorn" The single comb, small body, white lobes. But she did come with the others. 2 of the others had pea combs and beards, but the white and black spotted looking roo had no beard and a single comb. I have no idea what he was then, he is not alive anymore either. None of those roos are. I'm getting some brown leghorn from a hatchery this March so when they grow up Ill be able to compare. So that's what she is or a cross. Her eggs are not pearly white, but more of a really pale pink/ off white. Oh well, she's a pretty kool chicken, whatever she is. Thanks everybody.

8. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I have an EE who lays very lite pinkish/off white eggs. She has a pea comb, beard, & slate legs, but she is the most skittish of the bunch so I think she has some white leghorn in her. She's a pretty girl, your chicken that is!

9. ZoeZoo

ZoeZoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2011
    I know there are varying degrees of color, so is it possible she's just laying a very light blue?

10. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    She's a brown leghorn! Look it up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by