EE - what type of comb?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TurtleFeathers, Aug 6, 2009.

1. TurtleFeathers

TurtleFeathers Fear the Turtle!

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Hi all -

I have a blue EE cockeral whose comb I can't identify, so I figured I'd ask the experts...

This is Blue (real original, eh?). His father was a bantam duckwing EE of some type, and his mother was a bantam splash silkie/EE cross. He and his siblings all hatched from blue eggs almost 3 months ago - there were 9 in that clutch and this is the only male that hatched (what are the odds?), so I have nothing to compare his comb to. Here are three pics (all of the same bird):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, since his mother was a splash silkie/EE cross, I KNOW how the blue color came about, but what are the chances that he and his siblings inherited the silkie gene from her? One of blue pullets from that clutch has a slight crest and 5 toes, so I'm assuming she got it, but what about those with 4 toes and no crest at all?

Thanks so much -

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. TurtleFeathers

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    You know what - I think I may have posted this under the wrong section. Should it be under the Genetics heading instead? How do I move it?

Thanks -

3. scalaway

scalaway Songster

May 6, 2008
    Ohio
    looks like a pea comb to me [​IMG] -- very pretty [​IMG]!

4. jossanne

jossanne Songster

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Looks like a modified rosecomb to me.

5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    a rosecomb or a walnut comb since the silkie in the mix

6. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    It's a rose comb. Silkies have a very weird looking rose comb however if you cross and breed each generation to get rid of the crest, rose combs like this start to appear. Done it myself before.

7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    silkies have walnut combs

8. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Quote:Hatchery stock tend to have those modified rosecombs. A TRUE Walnut comb comes from a Rosecomb bird crossed with a Pea Combed bird.

The OP's EE seems to have a Rosecomb which it most likely inherited from the Silkie mixed parent.

9. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Walnut combs are genetically rose + pea.

The silkie standard says walnut.. but a lot silkies, even show stock silkies actually have modified rosecombs, without the pea comb gene present. They still look "walnut" just not genetically a true one.

I tested the above by crossing silkies from various breeders(several were BIG names, not hatchery stock) with single combed birds and then bred these crosses again with single combed. In all except one line they proved to have only rose comb. Only one line showed both rose and pea in the later offspring.

True walnuts have been showing up more often in silkies though, possibly by awareness of this fact coupled with deliberate crossing in and selection for genetic walnut combs.

10. TurtleFeathers

Jan 9, 2009
    By the Chesapeake Bay
    Thanks everybody!

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: