1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE with brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jferlisi, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So i believe i have a EE thats laying brown eggs. She just started this is her 4th egg if it is her. I checked at 2pm and she was in the box i found the egg and i had collected eggs just 45 minutes before. I went out at 3 and found the brown egg. Here is the hen i believe to be laying brown eggs. Can anyone give me some insight.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    EEs can lay any color egg. [​IMG]

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    Quote:I thought they laid green/blue eggs.

4. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    They can lay any color egg. Ameraucana and Araucana only lay BLUE EGGS.

5. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    they can lay brown too, depending on how much americauna they have in them.
    Your EE has a lot more comb than mine.
    I have one EE laying a nice bluish/green color. The other is laying more of an olive.
    Someone told me that olive eggers are rare, too bad because I would rather have blue!

6. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:Wrong, EEs and Ameraucanas are completely different breeds. They have similar attributes but they are not related. The only way EEs "have Ameraucana" in them is if they are bred to true Ameraucanas.

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Wrong, EEs and Ameraucanas are completely different breeds. They have similar attributes but they are not related. The only way EEs "have Ameraucana" in them is if they are bred to true Ameraucanas.

Thank you! Said it before I did. [​IMG]

Easter Eggers in general to the name should lay green or blue eggs, however one can lay brown eggs. If one lays white eggs though, I wouldn't call it an Easter Egger. Same goes of course for dark brown eggs. [​IMG] Brown Eggs usually indicate a green egg layer crossed with a green egg layer. You must consider, hatcheries do not keep track of what they breed. Thus your EE's can produce brown, your Frizzles can come out as "frazzles" (improper breeding of frizzle x frizzle, making brittle, broken, and sometimes bald feathers) and your "blue" birds can often be black or splash.

8. augustwest

augustwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North central mass
    I have had 2 EE hens. One lays pretty blue eggs. The other, that looked exactly like yours, has pinky-brown eggs. Lighter than my other PR girls.

9. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    It is common to have easter eggers that lay pink-brown eggs.

10. M To The Maxx

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL

Thank you! Said it before I did. [​IMG]

Easter Eggers in general to the name should lay green or blue eggs, however one can lay brown eggs. If one lays white eggs though, I wouldn't call it an Easter Egger. Same goes of course for dark brown eggs. [​IMG] Brown Eggs usually indicate a green egg layer crossed with a green egg layer. You must consider, hatcheries do not keep track of what they breed. Thus your EE's can produce brown, your Frizzles can come out as "frazzles" (improper breeding of frizzle x frizzle, making brittle, broken, and sometimes bald feathers) and your "blue" birds can often be black or splash.

Np. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by