EE with PURPLE feathers!! Mystery. NEW UPDATE PG 2 NEW PICS!!

suzettex5

Songster
10 Years
May 26, 2009
California
Ok, I am going to get some pics as soon as the baby takes his nap- in the mean time...

I noticed some pinkish chest feathers on my EE and though maybe she was bleeding. So I grabbed her up and inspected her thoroughly. What I found was puzzling. Deep in the fluffy chest feathers were seriously totally PURPLE feathers. You know, the soft fluffly feathers, not outside feathers. Although, some of the longer outside feathers had the coloring too. The all purple ones were colored from the skin out.

I though it was the blueberries I fed this morning, but I dont think the juice would cause this coloring, and so deep in, close to the skin where the feathers are so dense. Not to mention, it was a complete coloring of only certain feathers, no beeding over to other feathers, like you would expect with a moist juice dripping.

Has anyone ever heard or seen this? Agh, I gotta go take those pics and get your opinions, because if she really is making those feathers, I am soooo hatching some eggs of hers and going for purple chickens!! FUN!!

Pics coming soon so stay tuned!!!
lol.png

UPDATE- Here are some pictures, but my camera is lousy so the color is not showing up as purple as they really are...

The outside chest

32504_purple_feathers_001.jpg

Lifting up a few feathers, you can see the purple along the sides of feathers

32504_purple_feathers_002.jpg

The darker coloring is not shadow (it looks like it though) just her color

32504_purple_feathers_004.jpg

On the left by my thumb you can see the purple

32504_purple_feathers_006.jpg

I'm pulling the purple feather out a bit

32504_purple_feathers_007.jpg

I didnt get a pic of the feather that was a pure down feather that is ALL purple because she freaked out and jumped from my sons arms. She was ready to go lay her blue egg, so we let her go. I will try to get that one later because it is really, really purple and neat looking!

What do you guys think? Could you see the color? Do you think its just from the blueberries, or really her feather color?

Last edited:
Heres the pics all! Hope you cansee what I see. The color is not true to life, but hopefully you can see something!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom