EE with single comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happymorrows, Nov 26, 2010.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    I had read that EE have pea combs, but the new EE rooster I have has a single comb. Is that pretty normal because they are mutts?? He has a beard, so I am assuming he at least has some Araucana or Ameraucana in him. He's gorgeous, here's a pic:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Araucanas don't have beards in the US. [​IMG]

That isn't a single comb though. From the looks of it, it is just a really tall pea comb. But, yes, Easter Eggers can indeed have single combs. I have a hatchery-bought EE hen with a single comb. It looks weird, but it is a single comb, and she lays brown eggs.

3. phasianidae

phasianidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    heres my EE rooster who has a triple comb[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Again, that's called a pea comb. [​IMG] Pea combs have three rows of bumps or even dulled points, but sometimes the rows can be reduced to one, yet still there are no "points" just lumps.

5. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    green egg layers with single combs are quite rare but heres his half sister who lay green eggs and has a single comb.[​IMG]

6. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:sorry,it may look like that, but there are "points", and it is by definition a triple comb.

7. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    What about the green legs? My EE girls have green legs, and I read that that is how to tell they are an EE. Is that not true for males?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I've never heard of such. That comb is a pea comb, just lengthened out due to single comb genetics behind it. Pea combs are dominant, and often in pea combed birds like Araucanas, you can get bad examples of tall combs and points like that one. It isn't a "triple comb," just a very tall pea comb.

The closest otherwise would be a single comb with more than one side spring, which is uncommon, and only develops on one side. Development on both sides only comes up in breeds like the Penedesenca, in which the two extra side-springs are only at the back, and only one point per side.

Green legs is a common Easter Egger thing, however says nothing about gender or egg color. [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  9. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    Quote:sorry but as far as i can see, my rooster has three single combs side by side, and he doesent have any Penedesenca genetics in him as far as i know

10. phasianidae

Nov 9, 2010
    i'll have to take a better picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by