Ee X Blrw

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by marymac, May 18, 2010.

1. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have a nice BLRW roo in with my EE's and am thinking about hatching some of their eggs. Since EE's are already considered mutts what can I expect to get out of this cross? Would the offspring lay blue/green eggs or only brown eggs. Does any one have any pics of this mix?

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    You would get a mutt, not sure if it would be coloured egg layers or brown.

3. zephyrcreek

zephyrcreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2009
    Yale, Michigan
    My best guess is if the EE's lay blue eggs you will have a mix of brown and green egg layers, if the EE's lay green eggs you will probably get browns.

4. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    actually, I believe the babies would lay a light olive colored egg (as long as the ee has the blue egg gene). [​IMG]

eta: I just hatched two chicks from a blrw x ee cross. Most likely yours won't look like anyone elses since ee's don't have a predictable genetic makeup... unless of course you know the colors of the parents. My ee is a splash and blrw is also a splash. The chicks I hatched out look white right now but I'm guessing they'll be splash as well.

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I have never mixed ee's with wyandottes but I have mixed my ee's with cochins. WHat I noticed with the egg color was the mixed hens who came out with pea combs laid blue eggs while the one with a straight comb lays a light cream colored egg. I have 3 hens that are mixed ee's. One is mixed with serama (total accident) she has a cross between a pea comb and a straight comb which looks really funky and she lays a pink egg. Good luck with your crosses I bet they will turn out beautiful!

6. marymac

marymac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    I have noticed some of the most beautiful chickens are a cross of something, and they all lay eggs no matter what they are, so I'm thinking why not. Both my EE's and BLRW's are sweet birds and my EE's are great layers, almost an egg every day. So, what the heck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by