EE x BO of 10 wks Am I a Girl?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bantyshanty, Jun 19, 2011.

1. bantyshanty

bantyshanty Oval Office Courier

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    I have had a "pullet" for five weeks, who is a 10 week old EE/Buff Orpington cross. She looks like a pullet, with a tiny comb, and chirps like a chick still. Recently, she has been moved from the brooder room to the run, and so has a broody hen who weaned her chicks. The hen is a D'Anver and is smaller than the Buff Orp . The Buff Orp seemed to want to dominate the D'ANver from the moment they left the brooder room.. They were in different pens not touching.
    The Buff Orp has a pleading chick cheep, and has never tried to strut or practiced a crow, and is not pecked at by the roosters in the run.
    Today I saw my 8 week buff orp tread this Belgian D'Anver twice, in a very deft way that cockerels seem to take months to perfect. She didn't fall off, and she completed her act, including the cloacal "kiss", like a professional rooster. Her chest and back feathers are rounded, but her wing feathers are pointed, and she has a short stocky body with a stumpy tail. She is shaped female and acts female, and chick-like, apart from the mating.. Several roos are in the run, along with 25 hens.
    I've edited to include pics. She has thick legs as well. Definitely never crows, and has never sparred with a cockerel.
    Feathers are rounded all over except wing feathers, which are somewhat pointy, but not sharply pointy. Neck feathers are rounded as well. Pea comb has slightly raised row in center. Comb is pink, not red.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Keltara

Keltara Chillin' With My Peeps

3. technodoll

technodoll Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Quebec, Canada
    Hard to tell as this chick is a mix...

But I see "shiny" feathers coming in which normally would indicate a roo... [​IMG]

4. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    Well, I have hope seeing your BO pullet, Keltara. I think she's a she. Getting rounder & slower. No shiny feathers, actually, I think it's the flash, Technodoll.

I've had EEs, but no BOs to compare with.

5. Moose The Ameraucana

Moose The Ameraucana Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Seattle
    Hmmm i think pullet though she does look red...but the there is only one row it looks like?

6. bantyshanty

Oct 6, 2009
    S.W Pennsylvania
    There are three rows, but only one apparent in the picture. It is slightly higher. The flash in the early morning greyness made her look redder. She's the same color as the BO in the following post.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by