EE x Delaware Chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by blb4, Sep 18, 2014.

1. blb4

blb4 New Egg

Sep 18, 2014
    [​IMG]

The two yellow chicks are from an Easter egger hen and Delaware rooster. They're obviously very different coloring. Does anyone know if this means one's a pullet and the other a cockerel, or are their color differences possibly because one is favoring the Delaware?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sorry, but I have no idea. There will be others stopping by here to welcome you that might know.

Enjoy your babies and welcome to our flock!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Sorry but, I would know the genetics behind that. Chicks can change colors several times before they mature - so they may not look anything like this later on. I'm sure someone will be coming along soon to add their opinion. Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

4. blb4

blb4 New Egg

Sep 18, 2014
    Thanks! This is my first time hatching out chicks. I'm sure it will get easier the more I do it :)

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Quote: Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The difference in coloring has nothing to do with their gender. EEs are hybrids to begin with and as a result, the chicks produced by them can look a lot different. The bottom chick with the greater amount of yellow is more closely favoring the Delaware. The black one with the white spot on its head is either a Barred Rock, Dominique, or Cuckoo Maran (I'm not sure which as I can't see it's legs, and it could be either sex no matter which it is) or else a Black Sex Link cockerel. Black Sex Link male chicks and Barred Rock chicks (both sexes) look virtually identical. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Michael has given you great advice.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

X3 on Michael OShay. Cute chicks!

1 person likes this.
  8. blb4

blb4 New Egg

Sep 18, 2014
    Tha

Thanks! The black one is actually a RIRXBarred Rock. My little red hen is so sweet and a great layer and my BR rooster is really laid back; I figured they'd make a good cross. I also have one black one that's an EE crossed with the same roo. I didn't realize they mated since she's so spastic and wouldnt let anyone/thing get close to her.

Seems like only time will tell with this batch.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Cute chicks!

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Black Sex Links are RIR roo X Barred Rock hen. You have a male chick. Female BSL chicks are solid black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by