EE x Delaware Chicks

blb4

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014

The two yellow chicks are from an Easter egger hen and Delaware rooster. They're obviously very different coloring. Does anyone know if this means one's a pullet and the other a cockerel, or are their color differences possibly because one is favoring the Delaware?

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry, but I have no idea. There will be others stopping by here to welcome you that might know.

Enjoy your babies and welcome to our flock!

Sorry but, I would know the genetics behind that. Chicks can change colors several times before they mature - so they may not look anything like this later on. I'm sure someone will be coming along soon to add their opinion. Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Thanks! This is my first time hatching out chicks. I'm sure it will get easier the more I do it :)

Quote: Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The difference in coloring has nothing to do with their gender. EEs are hybrids to begin with and as a result, the chicks produced by them can look a lot different. The bottom chick with the greater amount of yellow is more closely favoring the Delaware. The black one with the white spot on its head is either a Barred Rock, Dominique, or Cuckoo Maran (I'm not sure which as I can't see it's legs, and it could be either sex no matter which it is) or else a Black Sex Link cockerel. Black Sex Link male chicks and Barred Rock chicks (both sexes) look virtually identical. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Tha
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. The difference in coloring has nothing to do with their gender. EEs are hybrids to begin with and as a result, the chicks produced by them can look a lot different. The bottom chick with the greater amount of yellow is more closely favoring the Delaware. The black one with the white spot on its head is either a Barred Rock, Dominique, or Cuckoo Maran (I'm not sure which as I can't see it's legs, and it could be either sex no matter which it is) or else a Black Sex Link cockerel. Black Sex Link male chicks and Barred Rock chicks (both sexes) look virtually identical. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thanks! The black one is actually a RIRXBarred Rock. My little red hen is so sweet and a great layer and my BR rooster is really laid back; I figured they'd make a good cross. I also have one black one that's an EE crossed with the same roo. I didn't realize they mated since she's so spastic and wouldnt let anyone/thing get close to her.

Seems like only time will tell with this batch.

Tha
Thanks! The black one is actually a RIRXBarred Rock. My little red hen is so sweet and a great layer and my BR rooster is really laid back; I figured they'd make a good cross. I also have one black one that's an EE crossed with the same roo. I didn't realize they mated since she's so spastic and wouldnt let anyone/thing get close to her.

Seems like only time will tell with this batch.

Black Sex Links are RIR roo X Barred Rock hen. You have a male chick. Female BSL chicks are solid black.

Back
Top Bottom