EE X non EE= 1/2 EE babies??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Megs, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    hello all, just trying to figure out what i would get if i crossed an australorp rooster with an ee hen (was told they were amaraucana, not sure though).

just trying to see if its a 50/50 chance of the offspring being blue/green egg layers or brown egg layers? anyone mixed these before? and i will just get a variety of color mixes i assume

this is my laying flock i will be incubating some eggs from, amauracana (ee) and australorps. (escuse the frew buff orpingtons, they went to a new home yesterday, i wanted all my brown hatching eggs to be pure australorps)
    excuse the dirty sawdust [​IMG] sawdust company has been promising our delivery for 4 weeks now!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  2. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Well, an ee is not a pure breed to begin with, its a mix of an ameraucana or araucana that still lays the colored egg.
    I have ee hens, fertile by a splash silkie roo and the babies grew to lay colored eggs.
    does that help? [​IMG]

ETA: its all just a chance you take when you mix them like that, but i personally think you would get green eggs if you mix the 2. Then if you mix the offspring you might start to lose the blue green, but you really cant be sure til you get there.

3. Megs

Aug 19, 2009
    yes i know an ee is a bird that lays a green/blue color egg and isnt a pure breed, i just want to know what % i could expect from this cross to be an ee and how many will just lay brown eggs (because the australorps lay brown eggs).

i will be selling some of the chicks and growing out some for myself and to sell at pol probably. so i want to know how to market them, i dont want to say they will all be ee if some are going to inheret the brown egg laying gene.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd like to know too. Right now I can make olive-egers, but I want to produce more EE as well. Don't want to waste the EEs making brown egg-laying mutt chickens [​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    The question to start with is do your EE hens lay green eggs? not all do.
    If the current hens lay green eggs then when crossed with a brown egg layer the offfspring should still produce a shade of green eggs most of the time.

6. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    EE's are a mutt chicken that is why not all of them lay blue or green eggs.They can lay brown or white as well and still be an EE.
    I have a beautiful blue chick right now with all the cheeks that was hatched from a brown shell(half Araucana-not EE and half brown egg layer)...time will tell what it will do...either way it's going to be a beautiful chicken.

7. Megs

Aug 19, 2009
    yes my current ee (was told they were amauracanas) lay nice green eggs

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    So then the chances are good . . . not positive but good, that their offspring will lay a shade of green egg even when crossed with a brown egg layer.

9. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    I thought that an EE was any chicken crossed with an EE or an Ameraucana.... The Feedstores innocently sell "ameraucanas" that are actually EE. I am looking for an old thread... where I was told if I keep an EE roo that all my girls no matter if they are BO or BA will lay eggs that if hatched would be EEs..... Is that incorrect?

10. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    MEGs

What happened to your buffs boody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by