EE x RIR + EE x White Leghorn.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jharper, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Jharper

Jharper Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    I have just recently hatched out 5 chicks. Which 3 are EE crosses. One is a rooster and the rest are pullets. I was just wondering what the color eggs the white leghorn cross would lay. Also I was wanting to know what color eggs the RIR cross would lay.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  2. Barrdwing

Barrdwing Chillin' With My Peeps

If any of the youngsters are pullets and have a pea comb, then they are apt to lay blue-green or green-tinted eggs. The genes for pea comb and blue or green egg coloration are located right next to each other on the chromosome, so they tend to go together. EE crossed with a white egg layer results in green or blue eggs, and EE crossed with a brown egg layer results in olive eggs.

That said, most of my EE crosses have pea combs and lay green eggs. Even the hen that's only 1/4 EE lays a green egg. It appears to be very persistent.

3. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Wow thanks.

4. RWise

RWise Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    My 1 EE lays mostly olive colored eggs, but some days she lays a bright green egg and others its almost brown, which is contrary to everything I have read! My Sister swears she gets her blue eggs from a white leghorn/Ameraucana cross

5. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Thanks

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I had a couple batches of leghorn/ee crosses--I love them! I get huge light green eggs daily.
    EEx brown egg layer usually just gives a muddy brown or green color egg.

7. The Dawg

The Dawg New Egg

Oct 19, 2012
    NE GEORGIA
    Donrae, what color did the leghorn/ee crosses come out? I like the leghorns but nobody wants white chickens when I go to sell them.

8. Jharper

Oct 20, 2012
    Tifton, Ga
    Mine came out with a birth mark of a patch of blue feathers.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by