EEEEE!!!! Our hens are laying!!! Got our first *4* eggs this AM!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by MichiganWoods, Apr 9, 2009.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I've been checking daily for the past two weeks or so when I go out to let them out of the coop. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zip.

Then to my surprise today... I walked out and caught a glimpse of a beautiful sight. There in the corner near the pop door.. our first egg!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

So then I looked about, and found three more!!!!!!!

One was cracked. The ladies seem to like laying while on the roost. I will have to re-arrange the nesting boxes to encourage them laying in there instead, of course. But still. [​IMG]

Here they are!!

[​IMG]

Yep I washed them up before photographing. They were actually not very messy at all, but enough that I didn't want my cats licking them while sitting on the counter. So I ran them under cool water and got all of the ickies off, then into a carton and into the fridge they went.

Good thing I got our cartons ready earlier in the week!

2. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Congratulations! It's so much fun to still go out and get mine even a year later:)

3. Cajunsamoan

Cajunsamoan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Louisiana
    Congratulations! [​IMG]

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Congrats! I have 3 EE's and 4 BO's. The BO's have been laying for a few months now and I'm still waiting on those silly EE's. I think one of them is a roo though. [​IMG]

5. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thank you!! Oh boy. I love treasure hunting. You better believe I'll be snooping around the coop multiple times a day now. [​IMG]

My 7-year-old is VERY eager to cook herself some eggs. [​IMG] I keep telling her she has to wait for daddy to get up so he can see the pretty eggs before they get eaten.

I've got 3 gals that aren't EE's but the other 10 are. The 3 that aren't; 2 are barnyard mixes and 1 is a Rhode Island White. I have a feeling that one of the brown eggs belongs to her. Obviously one of the EE's started up, what with that blue egg. But the other two brown eggs are in debate. [​IMG] All of my girls are between 20-22 weeks old now.

I took the opportunity with my cracked egg to check to see if the yolk had a bullseye. It did! And I know I've seen Blondie doing what I refer to as the "hen hop" (for my kids benefit [​IMG] ). So that means that once the egg production really gets going, I'll be able to offer some mutt hatching eggs. [​IMG]

6. michelle1017

michelle1017 Goat Mama

Aug 21, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG] Congrats! It is still exciting for me to go out everyday and see how many eggs I can get!

7. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Wow, congratulations! [​IMG]

8. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you both!! [​IMG]

This is turning out to be an awesome day. Babies are due tonight on top of this!!

9. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    One more quick pic of the unbroken eggs with my new cam. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Four Acre Bliss

Four Acre Bliss Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Virginia
    Beautiful eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by