EEEEEEEE!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Fly Be Free, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Fly Be Free

Fly Be Free Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    So, I got my eggs to incubate on Monday. However, on Sunday I stuck in a couple of my bantam hens' eggs. I was just curious if anything would happen.

Well, today I candeled the first of them. [​IMG] I saw veins!!!!!!

I know I know, all you pros are like, "Yup. That'll happen when you incubate a fertile egg." But still I've never done this before and to witness the life growing in that egg after it sat on my dresser for 3 days... I'm just gobsmacked! It's so tiny!!!

I don't know if he'll make it or not. But it's still a wonder to me.

My temps keep fluctuating between 98 and 101. Got a spike of 102 but I don't think it was for long as I check them throughout the day.

What is the ideal humidity y'all try to keep? Mine is in the upper 40's. (47, 48)

2. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    [​IMG]Here is a pic of one of mine today,day 9. It's so much fun!!
    I think your temp is fine and so is the humidity. I have mine around 49 or 50.

3. ChestnutRidge

ChestnutRidge Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Western Virginia
    Congratulations! It is really exciting to see life developing in front of your eyes. I doubt it gets old - look at all the hatching addicts! [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, trust me, each of us who have incubated eggs have experienced that flush of "It's ALIVE!" upon seeing the veins forming in an egg. I get it even now, just tickled pink to see life developing inside the shell. And when they hatch, it's a miracle, I tell ya! A living chick from something I just might as easily have eaten for breakfast 21 days earlier. Simply awesome!

5. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    I know for me, It will never get old and the exciting feeling will always be the same as the first!!! [​IMG]

6. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thanks guys. :) I should take a pic too Tami.

I showed my dh when he got home from work. LOL He was like, "awww. neat". He just now passed through the living room on the way to play with our son and asked,"Is that one you ordered?" When I said no, it's from our bantam pair he grinned from ear to ear and gave me two thumbs up.

Goof!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  7. TamiHunter

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    That pic wasn't the best one but you can still see the dark spot and the veins. I took a video of a chick moving around in the egg but was unable to upload it...[​IMG] You should go take a pic and post it too Fly Be Free!! Would love to see it!! I think all of our DH's are goofs when it comes to things like this! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  8. Fly Be Free

Jan 18, 2012
    South Carolina
    Okay. Here it is! I hope it shows up well.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by