Eeeek!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tala, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I was out cleaning the coops. I just happened to notice a large bird land on a privet branch at the fence line out of the corner of my eye. I'm not good at recognizing birds, and probably wouldn't have recognized it if it didn't sit there long enough for me to study it. A YOUNG HAWK!!!
    It was smaller than my chickens (even the 3 month olds) and only just noticably larger than an ordinary bird, so I guess it was pretty young. It may not have seen me since I was inside the coop squatted down, or maybe it just didn't care. It flew over, inspecting the flock and right over my dog too, just over the cars and landed on the electric wire at the street! My dog is no chicken guardian that's for sure!

Just grand! I was hoping this wouldn't happen. [​IMG]
    I really have no way to protect the entire back yard from hawks, and apparently even dogs don't scare this one. Must be a city hawk [​IMG]

Now I'm worried about them in the daytime, but honestly I don't know if I could confine them to a run. I LIKE having them in the yard. I highly doubt turkeys or guinies would go over well with the neighbors...
    Maybe I need to get some bushes installed PRONTO so they can at least have a chance to hide!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I saw on here where someone put an old satellite dish on cinder blocks to give his flock a place to hide from hawks. It does not have to be bushes. Could be something else. What ya got laying around?

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    If the hawk was that small, it is a non issue. Probably a sparrow hawk, and they mostly eat insects and mice.

4. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    I Heard To Hang Cds From The Trees To Scare Away The Hawks!

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:Actually, I believe it was probably what they call a Sharp Shinned hawk, especially because it had the coloring more like an adult but the small size (AGFC described it as "blue jay size") and because of the shape of it's head. The bigger hawks's heads resemble owls to me, but this one not so much.
    Here's the best site I found on it. http://animaldiversity.ummz.umich.edu/site/accounts/information/Accipiter_striatus.html

I saw on here where someone put an old satellite dish on cinder blocks to give his flock a place to hide from hawks. It does not have to be bushes. Could be something else. What ya got laying around?

Not much. Our only trees went down last spring, due to lightening strike, carpenter ants and hurricane Ike.....so the yard is pretty open. Also we live smack dab in the city so I was kinda hoping to avoid the redneck look as much as possible (well, I said I TRY [​IMG] ) I think a trampoline would look better than an outdated satellite dish. [​IMG]

Anyway, do you think a picnic table might be good? Something that goes with the city landscape would be best. Bushes seem logical, and the birds will enjoy their shade in the summer, although they will have to wait for spring to plant. They can go under the porch but I have it fenced off with chicken wire so there's only one way in and out. Hard for them all to rush under there quick, ya know? Perhaps I could re-configure the fencing since I no longer pen them under there...​

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I would not worry too much about a hawk that size until you have baby chicks. I think they would make a good target. Of course, even in the big city of Benton, you can have larger hawks hanging around too. They can come out of nowhere. I saw a hawk take a pigeon eating on the ground under a tree in Nigeria. That hawk was fast! The pigeon did not stand a chance.

To me, a picnic table seems a little too open. Maybe if you make or get the kind that has the bench seats, they could hide under the seats? Under the porch sounds like a good idea. My imagination is not working this morning. I understand about not wanting to look too redneck. I say that thinking about some of the things I've got "stored" outside here. Other than the bushes, the only thing I can come up with is children's play equipment or maybe some type of gazebo or trellis. Maybe a park bench to just sit in the garden? Bushes and trees sound best to me. Good luck!

7. QuailHollow

QuailHollow Chillin' With My Peeps

I hate hawks.. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by