EEEEKKKK! I Feel SO Stupid...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by koakritters, May 14, 2011.

1. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    So my friend asked me to go in and grab the eggs her hen has been laying since their rooster won't let her in, so i went in and grabbed all 17 of them (lol! though there were like, 3...) and she gave them to me to hatch since she didn't want them. said the hen hasn't really been sitting on them or anything. So i took them to work with me, spent 4 hours in the car, and then when i got home i decided to open one to see if they were even fertile... and opened it to an almost fully formed chick! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]: hit: hit

They went straight in the incubator when I got home with my other eggs... but what's the chance that they will hatch? It wasn't warm in my car, maybe 60 at the most and they were in there for several hours... [​IMG]

2. perrym1962

perrym1962 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    Eastview, Ky..
    Still possible they will hatch. I have had power outages for 6 or more hours and still have a good hatch. I wouldn't feel stupid, you did not know previously...[​IMG]

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    The last bad storm we had, 2 eggs were blown out of the coop (the winds were pretty high). They were super cold when I found them and they still hatched. So, leave them in the bator for a at least 24 hours to get them back to normal temp, then you check to see if they are still alive.

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

As the doctors say, you're not dead until you're warm and dead.

5. koakritters

koakritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Petaluma
    well i think it was just dumb luck for me to choose that egg to open. i candled the rest and only 2 others look pretty far along, the rest are only half full or veins and moving black dots! [​IMG] i'm guessing that since the hen was so small with 17 eggs that i managed to open one that had been directly under her getting the most warmth or something... there's a couple that look either brand new, or not fertile too... yikes, this should be a fun hatch! plus i have 14 9 day ones eight now... [​IMG] in the same incubator...

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

When there are broodies in a flock it is always best to water test before deciding what to do with them. If they float and move - chick inside. If the fall to the bottom, good fresh egg. If it tips up and down - partially formed chick or an old egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by