Eeek just started lockdown and the humidity won't stay up

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stone_family3, Feb 26, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    What can I do? I put a metal pan filled with water and sponges over the light bulb to keep it warm, filled it with boiling water and it shot up to 78, but is now down to 44. What else can I do?

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Take a deep breath. All will be fine. Can you increase the surface area of the sponges. Like tipping them up on the edge and allowing the water to wick up thru the sponge. Having water over bulb is less effective than increasing the sponge surface area. Depending on your specific design, you can place cut sponges into cups of water the size of baby food jars. I have used wet, not dripping, sponges laid next to the eggs, but NOT touching an egg.

GL

3. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

If you don't have any sponges, you can use a coffee cup of hot water with a wash cloth half in and half out. This more you spread the cloth the higher the humidity will go.

4. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I do have the sponges at an angle in both pans and the one pan is over the light bulb cause there isn't another place to put it LOL. I'll check it again in about an hour. Thanks for telling me to take deep breath, this is my first hatch and I'm freaked. Can ya tell? [​IMG]

5. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    Good luck with your hatch! I am new at this, and I was wondering if sponges above the water was the best plan. I get it now about being out of room, good problem to have ;) I am having the opposite problem, my humidity is at 74% right now. I poured a little water in the bottom of the bater and have a small container wiht sponge. Tried to take sponge out and it dropped fast, too fast so i put it back in.

Happy Hatching[​IMG]

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Been there done that. First hatch is stressful.

Being over the light bulb is fine--only meant that heat from bulb is not enough to raise the RH. Can you add another sponge or 2 or 3? Increasing the surface area of the sponge is what will help. Can you stand the sponges up like a tower?

You have time to organize this. Until one pips. Deep breath.[​IMG]

7. peepblessed

peepblessed Chillin' With My Peeps

I have done many hatches and I still stress every time! [​IMG][​IMG]

8. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have 9 sponges so we'll see if it goes up any in the next hour. If not I'll try standing up sponges in some jars. I think that the last three days are 100x more stressful then anything else in the chicken process.

9. BLRW

BLRW Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Don't panic. I have hatched 10's of thousand's of eggs and I always hatch between 45-60% humidity. Your eggs should do fine at the state they are in now.

10. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    You guys are great, this forum is such a wonderful tool.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by