Eeek! Roaches! Creatures of the night!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Moochie, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    They are crawling all over the place at night! Outside though. Outside the coop mostly, where some nestboxes are, feed bowls, water, and a garden hose. I am scared to walk in there with regular shoes at night! I fear one will crawl onto my foot!
    I think there's some other roach related big in there aswell? They look like roaches... Except a lighter color and the bodies aren't a hard shell like roaches, well it looks like folded wings so no shell at all I guess. What are those things?
    Anywho I thought I could catch some and have them breed and then feed them to my flock as treats, then I remembered they carry diseases. Soo, what shall I do about roaches?

2. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Oh nevermind, they're cockroaches too.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Bury a deep stainless steel or glass bowl anything slick to just rim level in the dirt then put some food in the bottom, they will go in and can't get out. Your girls will love you for the morning snack and a great protein source!

4. Jerseycoop

Jerseycoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    New Jersey
    Eewwww I'd scream and run. I think by the discription they're call ornamental roaches. I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas from here. I'm glad you asked this question .....just in case [​IMG]

5. Moochie

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    Quote:So I bury it deep? Or just keep it level on the ground?

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:So I bury it deep? Or just keep it level on the ground?

Yes keep the top level with the ground or just a little above also a coffee can with a golf ball sized hole will work too, but ya gotta dump the bugs out for the girls into a bowl or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by