1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EEer not laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KickenChicken, Dec 19, 2009.

1. KickenChicken

KickenChicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2009
    Vista Ca
    I have had an EE that has not laid at all. At least I don’t think so. I got her in August from my aunt, at the time she was about 1 year old, about two weeks after we got her she started molting. Out of the four hens we have, we get two to three eggs every day . The other three are sex-links and lay brown eggs. But the other night I was reading another thread and it some people say there EE’s are laying pink to brown eggs, some of our eggs are a lighter color then the rest and I am not thinking that she may be laying brown eggs so I put a couple of drops of food coloring on her vent and we will see if one of there brown eggs are hers. I also noticed that there are some mites down there and she has plucked some of her own feathers around the area so I sprayed all the birds with a mite spray then dusted them with some food grade DE I also dusted the coop, run and nesting boxes. So lets see what happens in the next week or so I am also including some pic’s of the EE and some of the eggs we get.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a standard white store egg just for referance

2. KickenChicken

Aug 21, 2009
    Vista Ca
    We got four eggs the last two days none are hers any one have any ideas

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have an EE that lays a light tan egg about every three days.

Keep painting the vent.

Some hens never lay an egg.

(Just what you wanted to read, I know)

4. KickenChicken

Aug 21, 2009
    Vista Ca
    any idea on getting her going

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by