Eeewww Gross!

SheltonDHW

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Shelton, WA
I got one of those weird soft shelled eggs today. I didn't realize it until I took hold of it. YUCK! NASTY! SLIMY! FREAKY!

I may not sleep well tonight...

Slimy? They're not usually slimy...make sure to feed free-choice oyster shell - that should resolve it!!
big_smile.png

Yes, slimy. Like KY Jelly slimy.

They do get oyster shell. I think this was due to stress. I read on some old posts that stress can cause soft shelled eggs. My coop is not new, bit the current way it is set up is. It was very windy and rainy last night and they ended up sleeping on the floor instead of the roost. My husband needs to make a shutter for the window so I can shut it when the wind blows. No rain got in though!

Quote:
Yep, and my chickens that had already gone to roost immediately jumped down and ate it.
roll.png

Good science experiment for the kids - take an egg and place it in a glass of vinegar (enough to cover the egg) and leave it for several days. You'll get the equivalent of a shell-less egg. Then you can harden it back up. I forget how, but I think by then placing it in a glass of water for a few days.

We haven't got one of those yet. At least not that I know of, I suppose the hens could of eaten one and I'd never know about it. I don't think I'd eat it either--the dogs are alway up for any eggs that don't quite make the cut.

1 Australorp, 1 Ameracauna, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Barred Rock & 2 Blue/Splash Marans

I love the assortment, where did you find the Marans if you don't mind my asking? I've found the other breeds at the feed store, but would really like to get some Marans and Wellsummers and Speckeled Sussex and Lavander Orps and........oops, there I go again.
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom