Eeewww Gross!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SheltonDHW, Oct 14, 2009.

1. SheltonDHW

SheltonDHW Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2009
    Shelton, WA
    I got one of those weird soft shelled eggs today. I didn't realize it until I took hold of it. YUCK! NASTY! SLIMY! FREAKY!

I may not sleep well tonight...

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    At least it didn't break in your hand. Been there, done that.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Slimy? They're not usually slimy...make sure to feed free-choice oyster shell - that should resolve it!! [​IMG]

4. SheltonDHW

Aug 3, 2009
    Shelton, WA
    Yes, slimy. Like KY Jelly slimy.

They do get oyster shell. I think this was due to stress. I read on some old posts that stress can cause soft shelled eggs. My coop is not new, bit the current way it is set up is. It was very windy and rainy last night and they ended up sleeping on the floor instead of the roost. My husband needs to make a shutter for the window so I can shut it when the wind blows. No rain got in though!

5. SheltonDHW

Aug 3, 2009
    Shelton, WA
    New2, I would have PUKED if it had broken!

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, and my chickens that had already gone to roost immediately jumped down and ate it. [​IMG]

Good science experiment for the kids - take an egg and place it in a glass of vinegar (enough to cover the egg) and leave it for several days. You'll get the equivalent of a shell-less egg. Then you can harden it back up. I forget how, but I think by then placing it in a glass of water for a few days.

7. Booswalia

Booswalia Chillin' With My Peeps

The first egg that I got from chickens was like that. I ate it. Mmmm. [​IMG]

8. Quadog

Quadog Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2009
    Eeeew, You nassy! [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  9. Im4dabirds

Im4dabirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I don't think there's anything wrong with them, but I just can't bring myself to eat them. I cook em and feed em to the dogs.

10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    We haven't got one of those yet. At least not that I know of, I suppose the hens could of eaten one and I'd never know about it. I don't think I'd eat it either--the dogs are alway up for any eggs that don't quite make the cut.

1 Australorp, 1 Ameracauna, 1 Buff Orpington, 1 Barred Rock & 2 Blue/Splash Marans

I love the assortment, where did you find the Marans if you don't mind my asking? I've found the other breeds at the feed store, but would really like to get some Marans and Wellsummers and Speckeled Sussex and Lavander Orps and........oops, there I go again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by