Eek! Not liking this new neighbor.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by stone_family3, Aug 30, 2011.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Coop was wide open (I was taking pictures cause I'm a proud mama hen [​IMG] ) when all the girls went still and started angry clucking. I look up and sure enough I found this new neighbor on top of my garage.

Aside from keeping the run covered and the doors closed any othe way to deter it?

[​IMG]
    neighbor by StonesChickens, on Flickr

2. Fowl_Odor002

Fowl_Odor002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mostly Here
    Scarecrow?

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I can try, he didn't really seem to be that concerned about me and I was moving around. LOL.

4. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    My Amish friend, who is our resident chicken expert [​IMG] strings old cds across the top of her run and around the area. They flash in the sunlight and move with the wind. She doesn't even cover her run. Might try it. I hate hawks [​IMG]

5. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    loud sounds gun shot, fire cracker... got rid of the one who got ahold of mine shot toward it (not at it) and it left never came back.

6. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Awesome, I can give that a try. I have the perfect helper for the job.

7. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Try to lure bluejays into your yard. (They love unsalted peanuts in the shell.) They will warn you (and your birds) when a hawk is in the area and even chase them away. You will have to feed them every day to keep them around.

8. Buiscuit

Buiscuit Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2011
    Alabama, And I hate it !
    shoot him, only you and your chickens will know. Or, you could sneak up on him and choke him out.

9. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    I saw something on here that I really liked....SSS or shoot, shovel and shut up!! So many laws that are different for each state. It's hard to figure out what you can or can not do. I'm not saying you should shoot it, I'm just saying that when making your decision, you might want to remember the SSS motto. We bought fruit tree netting. We lost 3 chickens to a hawk before we purchased. Since placing the netting, we haven't lost any chickens to hawks, so we haven't had to go the SSS route.

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:You can't hawks are protected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by