Eek! Tell me this doesn't mean she's a he!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Oceanseve, May 27, 2008.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Okay two buff orps, one is considerably larger than the other, but not totally sure how old either of them are. The smaller one is starting to look a lot more red around the beak... please tell me its not important. But the bigger one looks so pale next to the little one....

2. lilcountry

lilcountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Benson, NC
    Everyone would much rather have pics if at all possible! We love pics! Based on just size I think the Roo would be bigger, but the combs and wattles tell the most difference. How old are they, and welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I copied this down awhile back when Gindee77 originally posted it. It was right on the money as far as my brahmas were concerned.
    according to UC Davis Veterinary Care Program.
    2. Physical Characteristics (4-6 weeks of age)
    a. Comb – The cockerels comb is medium size and pinkish, the pullets is small and yellowish.
    b. Legs – The cockerel’s legs are sturdy and long, the pullets are finer and shorter.
    c. Tail – The cockerel’s tail is stumpy and curved, the pullets is longer and straight.
    d. Back – The cockerel has a thin line of stub feathers down the center of his back, the pullet has more advanced feathering along the center of her back
    .e. Side of neck, flank and crop – The feathering in the cockerel in these areas is poorly advanced, the pullets feathering in these areas is well advanced.
    f. Wing bows – In the cockerel the wing bows are bare, in pullets the wing bows are covered with small feathers.

4. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    How old are they and yes, pics would be best to help you on gender.

Jody

5. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Yes, pics would be nice but I left my camera at my mother in laws this weekend [​IMG] . I don't really know how old they are, we bought them a little over a week ago, they are fully feathers, but the guy I bought them from said they wouldn't start laying till October?? By my math then he was implying they are only around 8 weeks old, but I honestly don't know. I'll post pics as soon as I get my camera back.

6. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Okay here is a picture of one of my buff girls and she is 6 weeks old. Do yours look like this or smaller or bigger more or less feathers?

[​IMG]

This is Tallula and she is 6 weeks , has most of her feathers and is starting to try to make clucking noises and very sweet and likes to be held, very friendly. Anything like yours?

7. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    The smaller one is just a bit bigger than her, but the bigger one is... well... bigger. I can see skin by their eyes, too. I don't see that on yours or is it just the angle. Also I think mine have bigger beaks. I wish it wasn't dark out I'd go inspect right now.

8. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Nope she really just has the skin by her eyes covered in feathers. I don't see alot of bare skin on any of them except by the combs. I counted the weeks and mine should be laying about the end of August with some luck and maturity behind them. My girls will be 20 weeks old on August 25 and I have been told they start to lay anywhere from 19 weeks to 24 weeks. So if yours are older then mine yours should be laying by the end of August. If the man that sold them to you told you that they would not start laying until October though that would make them about 2 to 3 weeks younger then mine I would think. Of course looking at the picture of my Tallula can be a little deceaving as the picture does make her look smaller then what she is, although my BO's are a tad smaller then my Americaunas and they are the same age also. Guess I better feed some chickie miracle gro to them! Trudy [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by