1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE's 31 weeks old & no eggs! Is squatting a sure sign?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by msgenie516, Nov 1, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

I'm getting so-o-o discouraged! I have 8 pullets that are 31 weeks old (3 EE's, 3 BR's, 2 SLW's) and I think the only ones that are not laying are the 3 EE's. I was, of course, most anxious to see the color of their eggs and they are the last to lay.

But today, one of them squatted right in front of me. I know that squatting is one of the signs that a pullet should begin to lay soon, but is it a SURE sign?

I really hope so because I have gotten to the point that when I go to check for eggs every day, I have given up on finding any blue or green ones--don't even think about it anymore. [​IMG]

Thanks for any help! [​IMG] Genie

2. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    Hi Genie,

I was in the same boat as you, one of my EE's has been digging in the nest box for almost two weeks, today however I found her egg in the run and it was bluer than any of the others, I hate to say this but hang in there......good thing will happen in time! I am still waiting on three more to lay [​IMG]

3. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Maryland
    Quote:Forgot to say that I bought the girls from someone else so I have know idea how old they are....[​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Squatting is a very good sign. It means they are maturing sexually and submitting to the rooster. (you)

5. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    I've seen some posts of people who have EEs that don't lay green or blue eggs, but brown ones. They didn't know why they weren't getting green eggs until they actually saw the EE lay a brown egg. Is it possible that they're laying, but just not green/blue?

6. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    It's not going to be a 100% sign in every case.. but my 3 all laid within a week of their first squat [​IMG] Hang in there.. its coming

7. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Quote:I have also read about them laying brown, white, cream eggs, etc. but I have never even seen these girls anywhere near the nests and they are the only ones that haven't been squatting until now, so that's why I feel they are the ones that are not laying. Also, I don't get nearly enough eggs from my 8 pullets for them to be all laying, only about 2 to 3 a day. I have seen the BR's and SLW's lay, but never the EE's.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Some EE's and Ameraucanas are just slow to lay.

I hatched out three W/BW Ameraucanas back in February.

The first on laid two weeks ago, the second one last week and the third one laid her first yesterday.

I hatched out two more in April so I'll probably have to wait until December for them to lay!... along with my 4 B/B/S girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by