EE's and egg laying??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MedinaChick2001, Sep 27, 2010.

1. MedinaChick2001

MedinaChick2001 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    I was just wondering what the approximate age an EE is when they begin to lay? I have one who is around 22 weeks and today is the first day where she squatted when I tried to touch her. My sex links have been laying for 2 weeks.

2. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my 3 EE's began laying at 19 weeks, another began at 20 weeks and one that will be 24 weeks old this week has not begun to lay yet...has red comb, squatting for two or three weeks and been in/out of nest boxes for the last few days. I thought she was the one who laid last week because there was a blue egg in the box when I went out early one morning which looked like Opal's eggs BUT she laid a lil later that same morning so I know she didn't lay both eggs and Ladyhawk laid that afternoon. Always a mystery with these girls! [​IMG]

3. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    There is no typical time for any breed of chicken, but especially Easter Eggers because they have a mixed heritage. I actually hear it's more common for EE's to lay later like between 24-30 weeks, and a few people have had them lay at 40 weeks. So no typical age group, but watch the signs, if she is squatting it shouldn't be far off! Though that is also variable heh. Chickens are just... Broad spectrum all around lol!

4. donnavee

donnavee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2009
    Central NC
    I had one EE lay at 19 1/2 wks but her "sister" didn't lay until she was about 36 wks old - right in the middle of winter. These 2 act and look very differently too.

5. MaKettle

MaKettle Chillin' With My Peeps

My EE just gave us her 1st green egg yesterday!!! [​IMG]

She was our last hen to lay & had just turned 26 weeks old..I had heard that they were typically late bloomers so to speak & could go up to 7-9 months before they lay. It was a hard wait, especially when our 1st hen layed at 15 weeks!! Plus, we were just dying to know what color Bonnie would lay....

Good luck!!

6. SmittenChicken

SmittenChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    My first EE (all from McMurray) was at about 20 weeks, the others were at 21-22 weeks. Much earlier than I expected based on what I've read. I was surprised, my tiny little runt EE (who I assumed wouldn't be laying 'til winter) was one of the first chickens to start laying and does almost every day - of course the bigger EEs took longer.

7. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I've always heard that EEs lay later than other breeds but here on Alberti farm they are always the first to lay. My EEs typically lay at about 20 weeks while my purebred RIRs and Orps lay later at about 26 weeks.

8. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Mine were 32 and 35 weeks old..The most beautiful blue and blue green eggs were well worth the wait!

9. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    Mine will be 22 weeks this friday and they still aren't laying [​IMG] though i have notice their combs and what little wattles they have is turning redder...so hopefully soon.

10. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

farmerlor,

Love your avatar...very pretty bird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by