EE's and RIR's

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by byrandom, Jan 15, 2009.

1. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    So I have a small group of gorgeous RIR hens. I really like them, and I would like to get a rooster for them (as they have only been used for egg production).

This is where my question comes in. I also have 20-25 EE hens that I purchased from Murray McMurray. I really like these girls too, and I would like to put them in my main "egg coop" as we have come to call it. If I were to get a RIR rooster and put him in with my RIR hens, and my EE hens.. What would the resulting cross of an EE and a RIR be considered (other than "mutt", lol).

I have been told that EExRIR would be another EE looking chicken, which laid green/blue eggs.

2. chickens112

chickens112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Cuero Tx
    Well first off I glad to see someone else from Texas.[​IMG] Where in Tx are you located? Anyway the chicks from that cross would look like EE but you might have some with standard combs and they would probably be a little taller than the rest. As for color there is no telling. One thing is the red from the RIR would be lighter than the real dark red. Hope that helps.

3. crubner

crubner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Hey Josh,

I don't have an extra RIR rooster but I do have 4 EE cockerals. Want one?

Cheryl

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

It would just be another EE. An EE is nothing more than a true Ameraucana or a true Araucana crossed with something else or two EE's bred.

For more on Ameraucanas, see www.ameraucana.org.

God Bless,

5. Chef

Chef Chicken Connoisseur

Dec 16, 2008
    So.Cal
    I have three RIR cockerels that are 2 weeks old that I need to get rid of. If your interested? The father is in my avatar. He's supper cool!

Chef

6. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    Thanks everyone! So I guess I did get correct information after all! .. (for once! lol)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by