EE's.....and yoru expert advice!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JodyJo, Feb 6, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    So who out there has EE's? I am wanting to get some, I had bought 9 what I thought were pullets last year, they all turned out to be Roos, 5 Australorps and 4 BR...so now we are "getting rid of" these roos, and I wanted to pick what I wanted this time, since I am a new chicken owner, I was just giving it a try with the local feed store...obviously NOT the right choice, so now I will order from McMurray and get what I want...any advice on these types of chickens? I live in a very cold area of southern Colorado..but what I have read is they do well in the cold and not to worry about that....any advice would be appreciated!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My advice is to NOT get them from McMurray. Any hatchery but them. Although Nature's Hatchery I hear has bad service. McMurray has given me several EE's with crooked toes, one who prolapsed a lot, and two who ended up with internal laying at a year old, plus when I culled them, they had twisted and hunched backbones.

Otherwise, EE's are a sweet, colored egg laying addition to the flock - But they do vary in temperament, production, and color.

3. HogbackMtnChickns

HogbackMtnChickns Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    New Castle, Colorado
    Quote:Hi JodyJo. I am ordering EE chicks this spring (in May) from a fellow BYC'er: Alpine Farm. I am in Western Colorado too, but north of you (I suspect). Alpine Farm is somewhere around Meeker, Colorado. She raises her chicks the old fashioned way - no incubator.

I recommend that you look around locally before ordering from a hatchery. Post an inquiry on the Colorado thread here. Maybe call your local 4H leader to see if anyone has EE's. You can also meet some really cool chicken people in your area. Alpine Farm posts regularly on the Colorado thread. She is great. If you are interested in working with her, send her a PM. I'm sure she will give you some good advice. She has been very helpful to me. There may be someone even closer to you who can set you up.

One thing - EEs are notoriously difficult to sex. I want 2 EE hens, so I am ordering 4 chicks, and hoping the odds split the right way. It is difficult to tell pullets from cockerels until they are mature.

Good luck!

4. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Most of Ideal's "Ameraucanas" lay blue eggs.

5. Rebecky54

Rebecky54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    North Dakota
    Why not get real Ameracaunas from a breeder -- you can find one on line or on BYC. It's better to pay a little more and get quality. You'll have better, healthier birds that will hopefully live and lay for a longer time.

Just my 2 cents,

Becky

6. Winggedheart

Winggedheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2010
    Ringgold
    We always get EEs from McMurray, and none have had any problems. I have a beautiful rooster from them.

7. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I got my EEs from MPC. Exellent customer service, all three were sexed as pullets and actually ARE pullets and they each lay a different shaded green egg. Two shades of aqua green and one more of a mint green.

They were about ten weeks old in this pic. I gotta upload my newer pics...
    [​IMG]

8. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Quote:A lot of us have Ameraucanas here. Those mixed with something else and you have EEs or even Olive Eggs.

I have a few EEs from some eggs I just hatched and one in with my flock who should start laying any time now.

Trust me, with almost 80,000 people on these boards you'll find some nice ones here.

I just hatched out 3 that are crossed with silkies and they are soooo cute.

You can check the BYC auction pages too. Depending on where you are, you may be able to pick up chicks from someone near you, or even some older birds.

If you're anywhere near me I'll be hatching non stop this year. OK I have been hatching none stop anyway, but mostly from some bad hatches and now I'm actually getting chicks again. But I'll have several breeds. If you aren't in this area, check the states in the auction pages or go to the EE thread and and you'll find someone who would be happy to help you out.

I hope you manage to get pullets this time. Hard to know what you're getting most times with chicks as far as sexing, which getting some that are older may be the answer there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by