EEs are so hard to sex - please help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by teach1rusl, Sep 26, 2011.

1. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I've seen lots of EE sexing help posts recently, so I know it's not just me. Usually I'm very good at distinguishing pullets from cockerels early on, but two out of three of my easter egger chicks really have me confused (and nervous). They are "supposed" to be pullets (from MPC/Meyer), and are 5 weeks old. Maybe you color experts can help????

1) Nobody's legs are any thicker/thinner than the others - they all look thickish compared to my two non EE chicks.
    2) All have very horizontal body lines when they run around and or just perch somewhere.
    3) All feathered out very quickly.
    4) I only see a center row of peas/ridge looking stuff at this point, not three rows. But maybe the three rows pop up later??

BUTÂ…two of them have off and on pinkish/orange brightness to their combs, and I think that's a BAD thing. Sometimes their combs look "normal" and other times they really stand out (kind of like Rudolf's nose going on and off, although not quite that brightÂ…lol). The third EE chick has a plain ole (safe) yellowish colored comb all the time.

Based on my reading, I think at least Molly's coloring indicates pullet (rather plain brown/ tan w/salmon breast). Xena has me a little more worried, because her feathers look very pretty, bright to me, which makes me think cockerel. But again, the sometimes bright combs are what's really worrying me about both these two.

Here's Autumn, whom I'm 99.9% sure is a pullet. Her comb looks plain old yellow. She's my largest EE chick. Coloring, comb, everything screams pullet:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's Molly, my plainest looking EE chick at this point, color seems safe, but the comb sometimes turns bright:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's Xena, my favorite, her coloring worries me, plus that on/off baby aspirin comb color. She's the smallest of my EEs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Xena w/safe Autumn
    [​IMG]

No good shots of their combs, but all (so far) have single peas/ridge through the center... Thanks for your input!

2. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    All look like girls.

3. Thespoiledchicken

Thespoiledchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Long Island
    Pullets [​IMG]

4. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    EEs usually are easy just by the color patterns. these are clearly puller

5. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    The feather color of the birds in all your pics is a commonly found color/pattern in EE girls. [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

OMGosh!!! I sure hope you guys are right about Xena!! [​IMG] She's really the one I've worried most about. I've only had one EE in the past, and her comb stayed yellow forever, so I was so bummed when two of my little ones' combs began looking orange/pink around the 4 week mark. And it didn't make sense to me (still doesn't actually) why it'd look fairly yellow one minute, but bright the next. Plus Xena was my plainest chick, and then began feathering out so brightly, so I've been driving DH crazy stressing over her. I'll be SO happy/relieved if you guys are right [​IMG]

7. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    PULLETS...like mine.

[​IMG]

8. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    they look like my ee ladies...happy for you:lol:!

9. arcatamarcia

arcatamarcia Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    I agree they all look like pullets. My EE's comb was pink from the very beginning, so I wouldn't let that worry you.

10. Georgia Boy 1970

Georgia Boy 1970 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree they all look like pullets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by