EEs, aruacanas, and amauracanas???Confused!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 77horses, Dec 4, 2008.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    We have a black "EE" or "Amauracana" chick who is about 7+ weeks old. The person we got her from says that she's an amauracana, but aren't they the same as EEs? So, we decided that she was an EE.
    But, I just read that aruacanas have tufts on their heads. and EEs/am. have beards. Raven(our "EE" chick) has a little tuft on each side of her head, near her ears(like ear muffs) So, is she an EE, or an araucana??? Info:

Name: Raven.

Age/gender: about 7+ weeks old, female.

Body type: long shaped body, pretty long neck, tail feathers that sticks up pretty straight.

Head: Long beak(black), BIG and circle eyes(black/dark dark brown colored) Ear Tufts.*

Legs: Blueish/grayish colored*. pretty long.

Comb: Single. yellow colored.*

Feathers: black with some gray fluff feathers around legs/vent area.

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
  3. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:This is a two-fold dead giveaway. Ameraucanas have pea combs and white skin-meaning their combs will always be a whitish pink color before they turn red.

Congrats on your EE. I started with EE's many years ago and they are great birds. Those green eggs are what got me hooked!

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  5. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:It's very possible that she will. With regards to egg color, EE's are a VERY mixed lot. Basic breakdown:

2 blue egg genes OR 1 blue + 1 white = blue eggs
    1 blue + 1 brown = green eggs
    No blue gene = no colored eggs

It's actually MUCH more complicated than that, because technically, there are ONLY two colors of egg=white and blue (no there's no brown) everything else is controlled by modifyers, not actual genes.

But, it's certainly very possible that you will get blue eggs. My first EE's-one layed a nice light green and one layed a deep blue. You just never know.

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    ohh I remember now! The lady said that if we mixed her with our RIR rooster(and raised the offspring) and the offspring layed eggs, the eggs would be blue! [​IMG] The RIR has the gene for blue eggs.

7. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Quote:Um, unless your RIR is really an EE, he doesn't have that gene. RIR are exclusively brown egg layers.
    And the blue egg gene is dominant to the white egg gene-if they have it, you will see it in the eggs.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  8. swimmerchick

swimmerchick Out Of The Brooder

Sounds like you have a Americana... Auracanas don't have tails or rumps. Also there cheek tufts are like big fluffy balls on the side of there cheeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by