EE's for meat?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by EggsForIHOP, Jun 26, 2010.

1. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Because I think that's what they were...

DH found someone on craigslist that claimed to have a kickin deal on meaty birds (says she ordered in bulk to make it cheaper)...to humor him I went along for the ride and I am GLAD I did. They looked to me like little EE's - same dark legs on the chipmunk body. Are there any meaty birds that start this way? Freedom rangers maybe?

Because even if so...she was peddling them as table ready in 6-8 weeks...and I thought only the cornish x were ready to be processed in that short span...we declined gracefully, I told her we were expecting little fluffy yellow ones that would have white feathers one day - I think she understood (I hope)...DH of course is super disappointed. I don't think he wants to try ordering anything until after summer has passed with the crazy heat...so idk...poor guy, he REALLY wants meaty birds. Plus she brought them out in a bow that said Mt Healthy Hatchery barg#2 Araucana...hmm...it just seemed off to me, but if I am wrong I PROMISED him he and Frank could call on them in the morning and get them if ya'll prove different than what my gut said this evening.

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Your gutsy suspicion seems pretty likely to me.

3. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Maybe they were the red cornish???? I would google some pictures of the little ones and see. don't get me wrong, you just might be right..I didn't see them and I am no expert...but check anyways to prove to them that you are right..let us know how it turns out.

4. SAORSA

SAORSA Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Wine Country
    The EE is a duel purpose bird by definition.

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    You didn't ask what they were ? White laced red Cornish are orange and yellowish striped , dark cornish are chipmonks but yellow legged ; neither are ready for butcher in 8 weeks unless its as game hens and my hatchery strain WLRC would be pretty slim pickin' at that . EE should have been mostly muffed . EEs and Ameraucanas are too small to be considered a dual purpose in my opinion so I'll be crossing CX with EE and Ameraucana this year for what I hope to be a true dual purpose blue egger . I'm also crossing the CX with the WLRC to see if I can get a larger , faster growing Cornish .

6. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    not sure what they were.. but i can tell you that they aren't baby rangers.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    No dual-purpose chicken breed is ready for the table at 6-8 weeks. Only those hybrids specifically designed for fast growth & efficient feed conversion will be. This seller needs to learn the facts and not make false promises to her buyers. An EE at 6-8 weeks will barely have all its feathers & still be cheeping like a chick.

BUT if Mister is really eager to raise meat birds (I wish there were more folks in my family willing to do more than just eat chicken!) and if this lady is selling them really cheap (I wouldn't pay more than $1 a chick) then go ahead & get some, maybe 6-12. They'll need 16-20 weeks of tending before they're ready to process, that will take you into the fall when it's cooler.

Or you could check some of the big hatcheries to see what specials they're running on meatbirds. Often you can get great deals when the hatcheries need to get rid of a lot of meatchicks. But then you'd need to butcher at the end of August.

8. jjparke

jjparke Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Boise
    That is awfully suspicious. I don't know how much she was asking but CX chics are generally cheaper. At least around here they are. So either way I wouldn't pay very much for them. WHen the hatchery is running out here they sell CX for $1.00 each at the lowest quantity bracket. So the more you buy the cheaper they get from there. Good luck.

9. EggsForIHOP

EggsForIHOP Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    TEXAS
    Really, dual purpose would be okay...he probably more wants DP birds or freedom rangers in the long run anyways from what I hear when he talks baauot his meaty dreams...but I told him to at least try the cornish X once which is why he jumped on the opportunity....the BIGGEST reason for telling her no was that she INSISTED they were 'just like' the cornish X but never named a breed - but looking back at pics of our EE's...well....at 6-8 weeks they would have made something like a quail or game hen, maybe a little bigger...basically I had the feeling she was lying, and while I am no chicken expert...I just couldn't stand that feeling...at only a dollar a bird it was a good deal no matter how you slice I'm sure, but then when you figure in the lack of honesty, it just wasn't worth it to me. Maybe someone lied to her first - but still...if the freedom rangers don't have dark legs than I am guessing they were EE's or some such and we have plenty of those [​IMG] Even a few extra roos...so we are good...maybe today I will let him order his meaty birds.

10. eKo_birdies

eKo_birdies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:freedom rangers look nothing like the birds you described (see my post above). they are definitely NOT chipmunk colored nor do they have dark legs. - this coming from someone w/ 200 freedom rangers.

and either way... a freedom ranger would be WAY too small when compared to a cornish X at 6-8 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by