1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

EE's? "in other words r they going to lay green?!!?"

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by americana-chick, Oct 24, 2008.

1. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i have bought 2 EEs (sold to me as Ameracaunas of corse) from the feed store and one is a roo and the other is a hen. they are like 20 to 24 weeks old now and i am still waiting on the hen to lay. what are the chances that she wont lay colored eggs? there are all brown and cream colored eggs in the nest box now and i dont think she has laid any of them but i am not sure. she has green legs, beard, and little tufts. these are signs or pure Ameracaunas just mixed together to make a mix colored feathers right? thanks!
    [​IMG]
    male
    [​IMG]
    female. sorry i cant get good pics of her because she never sits still!!! [​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I swear they take FOREVER to lay [​IMG] Mine are not laying yet and neither are my friends... and they shoulda popped out something by now [​IMG] LOL They TEND to lay blue/green eggs, but can be blue, green, brown, cream.......

3. mirecipes

mirecipes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2008
    Here's pix of my gals and the eggs they lay..
    They were sold to me as Ameracaunas too (from the feed store)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  4. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I have two EEs. One lays brown eggs, the other lays green.

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I purchased six "Ameraucanas" from a hatchery; only two of the six lays green. The others lay tan. But, they're pretty, and I love them, and the eggs are yummy! [​IMG]

6. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    GOOD QUESTION!! i DID NOT KNOW THAT EE COULD LAY BROWN EGGS...NEVER HEARD OF THAT BEFORE. [​IMG]

7. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    i have never seen my EE squat or anything and i have heard they take a while to start laying so maybe there is still hope for green eggs! and if they dont lay green are they still considered EEs?

8. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I don't know!![​IMG]

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    Hi,

You definitely have EE's but they are very nice looking birds. My true Ameraucana pullets this year started laying 1 day short of 25 weeks and I'm not positive that they are all laying yet.

There is no telling what color of egg you will get from your EE pullet. I've had a greenish-bluish, a tan, an almost white, and one that was a sort of pastel pinkish-purple.

If you want to know if your EE is laying, take some food coloring in an eye dropper and squirt some in her vent one night. If she's laying, you'll find the food coloring on her egg the next morning.

God Bless,

10. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    if they have green legs they are EES. Ameracaunas have slate blue legs. I have both and most of my ameracaunas lay blue eggs, My EES lay about everything. I have olive green pink lavender blue turguoise tan and brown.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by