EE's laying light brown eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hollyk, Apr 15, 2009.

1. hollyk

hollyk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    Canton, Texas
    I have 4 EE's that could start laying at anytime. I only have 3 other mature hens laying and I know who lays which egg. Lately, we have been getting 2 more brown eggs on occasion that don't match the other eggs. I thought that EE's layed green or blue tinted eggs. Do I have brown laying EE's or has one hen changed color on me?[​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

They can lay brown eggs, it depends on the genes mixture they got from their parents.

3. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I've heard easter eggers can occasionally lay brown eggs, but the majority don't. Can you post pictures of your easter eggers? How old are they?

4. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes it happens, our EE lays a light brown egg. I was disappointed for maybe 5 minutes; she's a sweetie nonetheless! [​IMG]
    Phyllis

5. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

The blue egg gene 'O' is close to the pea comb gene 'P' on the same chromosome, both genes are dominant, they are usually inherited together in EEs. Most often EEs with pea combs will lay green or blue eggs whereas EEs with a single comb will more often lay a brown egg.

6. standardbanty

standardbanty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2008
    Maryland
    Most ee's are hybrids. They are bred to lay a lot of blue or green eggs. Depending on where you get your stock from you can get brown eggs. I get my Amerecanas (spelling?) from a breeder that is reputable and has show quality. Not saying they have to be but that always helps to get them from a strict breeder.

7. SewingDiva

SewingDiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Our EE brown layer has a rose comb so I guess there is that mutation too..

8. Krys109uk

I almost anything goes with these EE birds. [​IMG]

9. ORChick

ORChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2007
    Oregon
    One of my EEs lays a green egg, the other lays a light brown one.

10. Krys109uk

Most often the pea comb birds will lay the green/blue eggs. Single comb or any other comb birds are much less likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by