EEs making nests other places??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wynnsanchez, Jun 19, 2010.

1. wynnsanchez

wynnsanchez Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    I have 3 EEs, 5 barred rocks, and 6 RIRs. All of the barred rocks and RIRs lay in the laying boxes. My EEs like to build their own nests. I found one nest in the barn a couple of weeks ago and when I started collecting the eggs from there on a regular basis they stopped laying there. Now they have a new nest over behind the coup. Anyone else have this problem with their EEs? The only time they lay in the boxes is when I keep them in the coup all day.

2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Only one of my EE hens lay outside of the box. I have to go on a hunt daily to find her egg.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

My EE lays her egg quite nicely in a nest box. Dunno what to tell ya.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    One of our two just recently started laying directly *under* the nest box. It's better than anywhere else, but still annoying.
    Try putting some wooden eggs or golf balls in the nest(s). That will show them where to lay.
    Also, when you find them in the other nest move them to the box. When they're on the box, don't make a fuss, don't check under them, just let them lay and come back later.

5. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    My hens are always finding imaginative places to lay their eggs. If it's a dry and easily accessible place I just leave their nest there. I will put a few fake eggs in it so that they will continue to lay there. That way I at least know where to look for their eggs.

6. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    I have 2 EE's and they both used to lay in the nest box. Then we started getting only 1 egg. About a month ago we were weedeating some overgrowth and found about 10 blue eggs. She can fly out of the pen. I should probly clip her wings a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by