EE's or Australorps

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Wendyba29, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Wendyba29

Wendyba29 Out Of The Brooder

My husband insists that we should get Australorps and I want EE's. He wants information on EE's such as food consumption and egg laying ability. We are going to have some for eggs and some for meat production. But he only wants one kind of chicken for both jobs. I just want some other peoples info on which breed is better for both, that also won't eat like our great dane mix!!

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    Check out on MPC's website where it has "breeds" listed and you'll be able to see the info on each breed. We have both of the breeds you're referring about. The EE's will be a lb or 2 smaller, but they give you green or blue eggs. The Black Australorps will be a lb or 2 bigger than the EE's though. I believe the BA's lay eggs a bit better than the EE's IMHO. The EE's won't eat more than that BA's. The main thing to remember is to enjoy what you get - so maybe you can compromise and get a little of both. PM me if you'd like to chat further. [​IMG]

3. davidb

davidb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    For meat and eggs I would say the Australorps would be the better choice

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I have six BA chicks that are 8 weeks old. They are the meanest of all of my younguns, so they will probably lay the best and taste the best.

They peck at me when I change their water and food. [​IMG] It doesn't hurt my hand, just my heart. [​IMG]

Cheri

5. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I also have both EE's and Australorps.

Australorps are a dual breed and are great egg layers. I've had mine for a year and a half and they lay large or extra large eggs almost every day and even consistently through last winter. They are a big bird and mine are very, very sweet. My children pick them up and hold them and pet them and love on them all the time.

This is my first year with my EE's so I can't compare them apples to apples time length wise. Only one of my EE's has started laying but she's giving me beautiful green/blue eggs almost every day.

My EE's are not as large as my Australorps so meat wise I'd chose the Australorps.

If you can get some of each that 's what I'd suggest doing.

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I have both and the BA are much better egg producers while the ameraucanas are much friendlier. Why not just give up and get both?

7. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    I also have EE's and BA my EE are nice and lay a blue egg every day. My BA are Mean! but much bigger and also lay light brown egg every day.
    I agree with opa Get both [​IMG]
    Jody, Ma

8. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I don't have any BA's however I do have a few EE's. And I am shocked at how well they lay. My RIR is every other day but not my EE's [​IMG] Every single day like clockwork. And the eggs are so pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by