EE's or not, many pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by target022, May 19, 2010.

1. target022

target022 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2009
    Vallejo, CA
    I picked up 2 chicks in March. They were labeled "Americauna". I figured they were EE, I just wanted some colored eggs.
    I picked 2 different colors, a brown and a red brown one. The brown one has sage legs and the red brown one has yellow legs

Here they are March 20th. I assume they are 1-2 weeks old
    [​IMG]

They should be 9-10 weeks now

Here's the brown one today. She has a beard now and her beak has darkened up. She has pea comb (or rose, not sure, its very small, and she won't stay still for me to get a pic [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]

Here is the red brown one. She has a single comb. No beard (but you knew that)
    [​IMG]

I read some where on here that EE's don't have single combs, but I don't know if that's true or not.
    Does the red one look like an EE? As I read the posts and look at more pics, I'm thinking she could be a RIR. But I don't know enough about them, I know EE's come in all different varieties.

Shes starting to get some black on the tips of her wings and tail. Its slightly iridescent.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one in the middle is a Wellsummer I picked up a couple weeks later.
    [​IMG]

They now live with my 3 leghorns (21 wks)
    [​IMG]

2. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    lol, silly! That red one ain't an EE, she is a Rhode Island Red Production. The other is an EE because all Americaunas from hatcheries are actually EEs.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    1 EE and 1 Production Red.

Matt

4. target022

Dec 14, 2009
    Vallejo, CA
    Yay!![​IMG]

She must have snuck in to the Americauna pen. I was hoping she was. I wanted a RIR but the store was out and I ended up getting the Wellsumer.

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    It could be that someone placed the red chick in the wrong bin too. She is definitely not an EE. Just FYI though, EEs can look any way possible, there is no standard except somewhere in their lineage there is Araucana, but that could mean last generation or 10 or 20 ago. They can have any comb, any color, any skin color, they can even lay white or brown eggs. They are mutts. But that being said, some of the most beautiful birds I have seen on here have been EEs and the ones I have I think are gorgeous. I would say you done good, at least you have 3 girls to give you eggs.

6. Shannon's Chix

Shannon's Chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    N.E. Florida
    They're very pretty! [​IMG]

7. RM44

RM44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    Woodstock, Georgia
    You're going to love that RIR. They are often the first to lay eggs, and they are very consistent layers. Mine lay a darker shade of brown than my other brown egg layers. (Not dark like a maran, but dark.....). and 2 of my EEs are the same color as yours. I think folks call that "Partridge" color. Enjoy!

8. Melissa034

Melissa034 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2010
    St. Paris
    1 is definately a RIR, the other might be a Ameraucana. It has all the looks, a pea comb, slate legs, and the beard. Maybe you got really lucky.

9. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    If that Wellie you have is acquiring white lobes then it is a brown leghorn and will lay white eggs instead of brown.

10. target022

Dec 14, 2009
    Vallejo, CA
    Thanks for the heads up. Still hard to see. Looks a little pinkish

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by