EEs or not

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ogdenfarms22, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    *this is not their brooder this is the sun is out gunna sun bathe for a little bit box.

So I picked up these lovely babies and they said they are EEs. But every one elses pictures of EEs are chipmunk striped?! So are these guys still EEs or something else?
    Only one black one has feathers down its legs.
    Help if you can! :)

2. authHeirlooms

authHeirlooms Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Loveland, CO
    We have EEs of many colors, not just the chipmunk (wild type pattern) - its hard to make out from the picture, but the things to look for are puffy cheeks, and a pea comb. You can spot them on EE chicks, but you have to look close. [​IMG] The black one with the white dot on its head is definitely barred (which doesn't mean it's not an EE - we have a couple of blue egg layers with barring.) We've also had white with splash EEs, usually it just means that one parent is something else. You may get olive colored eggs too depending on the genetics.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Kinda hard tellin till they get more mature. Being that Easter Egger can literally be any color and pattern, any comb type, and any leg color since they've not been standardized yet. There are however some typical Easter Egger traits "as stated above" like beards & muffs, pea combs, and greenish/slate colored legs.

1 person likes this.
  4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I'm seeing nothing to indicate EE in the bunch.

I do see a Barred Rock, a possible Marans or Cochin...depending upon how much leg feather there is.

You also have some blue barred birds...white dot on blue...which will be a barred mix of something.

It is frustrating that the term EE has come to mean mixed bird that might or might not have anything to do with a blue layer in the background.

That is a misuse of the term.

While it is true that EE can look very differently, since they are not standardized, it shouldn't mean a mix breed of anything to anything.

It should mean that Ameraucana or Araucana blood was back near enough, as in one of the parents, that the blue shell gene was likely passed along. Usually then the chicks also have beard/muff, pea comb, and green legs.

If not, then they are just mixed mutts....perhaps some EE blood is somewhere back, which is possible if a backyard breeder has an EE rooster over other breed hens. Then the chicks can vary a lot, but they are not EE's...just mix breeds.

LofMc

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

7. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017
    That is what I was more thinking that they were mixed and they just called them EEs. When they get a little more feathered I'll post some more pics :)

8. Ogdenfarms22

Feb 4, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So here is better pics of my supposed Ees. What do you think now?
    I also think the first chick is a roo where as the others don't have any comb development at all yet?!

9. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Top chick looks to be a Black Copper Marans, and yes male.

Middle bird looks to be a Barred Rock...pretty sure...might be a Cuckoo Marans, but the legs are yellow and Maran would be white/grey.

Last bird...not sure...is that a rose comb? (Really fuzzy). If it is a rose comb, it could be a Wyandotte of some sort. I'm not sure what it is at the moment.

LofMc

10. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Where did you get them?

If from a feed store, they can be what I suggested.

If from a backyard breeder, they'll be mixed breeds.

LofMc

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by