EE's: Pullets or Roos? **Updated photos**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bravo, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Bravo

Bravo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    I am sure this is probably VERY premature but the suspense is killing me!

I am a first time chicken owner and these are 5 chicks we hatched. I am pretty sure all but 1 are EE's and they were just over a week old in the photos.

Is it too early to tell if they are pullets or roos? It would be nice not to get too attached to any roos (since they arent legal to keep where I live).

9/28 update: The chicks are now 5 weeks old and have grown so much! With new pics, any ideas on sex? Also, the 2 lighter ones with yellow legs...could they be different breeds?

(1 week)
    [​IMG]
    (5 weeks)
    [​IMG]

(1 week)
    [​IMG]
    (5 weeks)--this one is double the size of the rest!
    [​IMG]

(1 week)
    [​IMG]
    (5 weeks)
    [​IMG]

(1 week)
    [​IMG]
    (5 weeks)
    [​IMG]

(1 week)
    [​IMG]
    (5 weeks)
    [​IMG]

Thanks!!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. goldielocks

goldielocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Its way to early for me to tell, but oh how cute they are. The last one doesnt look like it has a tail, it might be a rumpless EE. Only time will tell. Give them little treats, like oatmeal and yogurt and they will be your best friends.

I kept my girls in their coop and run area until they were 10 weeks old. I let them out each evening for a couple of hours and they go right back in thought the run to their coop each night. I give treats several times a day so they are very easy to gather up when need be. [​IMG]

3. Bravo

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Quote:Thanks! I figured I was jumping the gun! [​IMG]

The 4 EE's are as sweet as can be--they will come running and climb all over me for worms and are very easily handled (actually seem to enjoy the interaction). The white one is trouble LOL--it wants worms but would rather raid the container than get them from me. [​IMG]

We let them out for their daily "field trip" to the backyard under our radar supervision. They've been living in their brooder box in the family room with us and I dont think I am going to be able to part with their sweet little noises [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  4. jthayerkatz

jthayerkatz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Holland, MA
    pics 1,3,4 pullet
    pics 2,5 roo
    feathering fast is usually a good indicator of sex at this age. You can see the tails on the three have a good start and the two roo's got a fuzzy butt. [​IMG]
    This is also not always a perfect science, so no promises.

5. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    Does that mean that most roosters do not feather in as fast?

6. Bravo

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Quote:Thanks jthayerkatz!

Those are actually the ones we are suspecting. I am on the fence with #1 but praying she's a pullet!

I guess we will know for sure when they start crowing [​IMG] The waiting for them to grow up is so hard!

7. Amy's Animals

Amy's Animals Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Southern Oregon
    Bedste wrote: Does that mean that most roosters do not feather in as fast?

With pure breeds, yes, but with EE's, usually not. EE's are mutts and therefore each bird has different feather growth genetics, some will be faster, some slower, so it is not dependent on gender.
    I have 2 EE pullets, same age, but one took at least 2 weeks longer to feather in completely, I was convinced that it was a rooster, and now she's laying eggs!

8. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    What kind of comb does the white one have? The way its standing, it doesn't look like a leghorn to me.

9. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I don't have an answer. But boy! They sure are cute! [​IMG]

10. Bravo

Aug 24, 2009
    CA
    Quote:Yikes--I dont know how to answer that question! It looks the same now as it did in the picture. It came from a white egg if that makes any difference [​IMG]

This chick usually stands just like it is in the picture and its temperament, even at this age, is different from the others. I am pretty sure its some kind of a mix--there was only one rooster and several different hens so I guess time will tell. I just hope he turns out to be a she! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by