EEs sex please. 5 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PaintedMeadows, Jul 21, 2008.

1. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Songster

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Is it too soon to tell what sex these 2 ees are? They are 5 weeks old today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can give, I understand that it might be too early.

2. brownfarms

brownfarms Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    All I can say is that my 4 weekers look about the same and THEY BETTER ALL BE HENS.[​IMG]

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    My ameraucanas aren't showing any definate signs of gender yet, although I'm almost positive I have a roo and a hen. They both look the same to me, since they have rose combs. It would be nice if I ended up with 2 hens!!! (Mine are about 12 weeks old)

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    easter eggers are always hard to judge sex early on. but watch for rooster like behavior and wait is all i can say i have had them for years and before even 5 months or later sometimes its harddd to tell. sorry couldnt help more.

5. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Songster

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    easter eggers are always very difficult to judge sex early on. all i can say is wait i have been raising them for years and sometimes i cant even tell till they are 5 to 6 months sometimes longer. sorry i couldnt help more.

6. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Songster

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    OK, thank you. Trying not to get too attached in case one is a roo. We are already keeping and orpington rooster and probably won't have enough hens left for a second roo. Keep fingers crossed for hens for me! tee hee. We have a 3rd ee but it was too quick to catch well on camera.

7. cdross

cdross In the Brooder

Jul 18, 2008
    They look like hens to me.

8. ZooMummzy

ZooMummzy Queen of the Zoo

Mar 31, 2008
    Philomath, Oregon
    I'd probably say hens too but I'd wait a few more weeks to be absolutely sure. Mine are now 10 weeks and definitely pullets but I wasn't sure at 5 weeks.

9. PaintedMeadows

PaintedMeadows Songster

Jun 19, 2008
    St. Isidore
    Oh I hope you guys are right!! I can't wait until they start laying. [​IMG]

10. jimgh

jimgh Hatching

Jul 22, 2008
    Portland, OR
    Hi,

You might not have to wait as long as you think. My Ameraucana was crowing at 6 weeks! It took another 2 weeks before I was actually in the room when he was doing it to find out which one of the 4 chicks I had was the secret rooster.

The combs on yours look like the 2 replacements I have which are about the same age (5 weeks).

Here's a picture of the comb on the rooster when he was about 5 weeks.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: