EEs showing weird behavior.........

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Justino, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    2 of my EEs have lost most of their beards! The weird thing is i spied on em the other night and caught one of em picking off the others beard and the one getting pecked wasnt moving or making any sounds like she wasnt enjoying it! LOL what the heck are my EEs doing this for!? LOL pretty penny isnt all that pretty now since she has half a beard :lol

2. dizzychicken

dizzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    My EE are doing this also. They have been tearing the roos neck feathers up. The roo doesn't move he just takes it. I finally read on here to hang a cabbage up in the coop to keep them from getting bored and pecking each other. Good news. It works! The hen that was the worst is like Muhammad Ali. She has got the bob and weave technique down. She pecks at it almost all day. She just needed a challenge I suppose. Larry's feathers are already looking better. Next week we are going to do some corn cobs and see if that can keep her busy.

3. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    well i dont think thats it cause they only do it when theyre roosting at night before they go to bed......but during the day they never do it.....

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    I had 6 EEs in my last bunch and have 4 now. Both sets did this and had no beards. I saw one was growing back in today, but my last batch never had any after the first few months. The rooster's is gone also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by