EE's ? they were sold as ameraucanas

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cleigh9579, Sep 24, 2010.

1. cleigh9579

cleigh9579 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    arlington TX
    Just starting to learn the differences between EE and Ameraucanas. Thought i would post some pics of my girls. They were sold to me as ameraucanas but i am sure i will get told they are EE's. Also what color would they be considered. And if its not asking to much why are my girls EE's. I know there are color regs and body types ect. Please just a word or two of why. It will help me learn. Thank you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  2. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    The pics didn't show up, but if they are not a solid color with slate legs than you can bet they are EE's especially if you got them from a feed store or hatcherie.

They are probably a duckwing or Black Breasted Red coloration since that seems to be the most commom. Weird, in True Araucana that is a color that is fairly hard to get to breed true, and EE's seem to have a lot of that coloration.

Lanae

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Try reposting your pictures...they didn't show up.

There are Red/Browns, Wheatens, Blue Wheatens, and Silvers that are multi-colored, so the "solid" color reference is not true. Check out the ameraucana.org website. Look under the tab photos on the left. Then on the right is a list of pictures of each "color" type.

An EE is an easter egger that is a mix of either an Ameraucana and any other breed, OR an Araucana and any other breed that carries on the blue egg gene. (EE's can also lay green, pink and even brown).

I have Silver, Black, Buff, Wheaten/Blue Wheaten, Lavender AND a few Easter Eggers. I call my EE's "muttraucanas".

4. cleigh9579

cleigh9579 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2010
    arlington TX
    Thank you so much. That also explains why i was told my two chicks are EE's. I got them from my neighbors small breeding flock.They have slate legs but are black and white and black and red. I finally got the pics fixed. Thanks for being so nice about it

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I humbly apologize for my mistatement, and most likely my spelling.

Your pics did pop up and it looks like a duckwingish and a what I would call a brown/red wild type cause all the black. But I am no expert and EE's can come in lots of beautiful colors.

Lanae

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Those are certainly EE's (clean faced, wrong color, etc) - Although if you're curious of the color, yes, they're quite Duckwing based. The other half of what their color is, who knows.

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:My first 8 Ameraucanas ended up being EE's...6 of them roosters. I kept the 2 girls and hatched a "muttraucana" from a pale pink egg....she now lays a GORGEOUS green egg. I love the colors EE's add to my egg basket!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by