Effect of music on chicks

chickenchichi

In the Brooder
May 15, 2016
McDonough, GA
Every morning when I first go out to my chicks, I sit with them for about an hour and play them music and sing to them. I know chickens are very keen on auditory stimuli and it plays a large part in imprinting, so I was wondering if serenading my babies like this would help them to associate me and my voice with positivity and safety. Of course, this may just be my BA in psychology trying to speak up, but if anyone has any firsthand experience or scientific evidence I would appreciate any advice!!

I think there have been some experiments done re: poultry and music. I know that many farmers play classical music in their barns, saying that it boosts milk production. Also, there was a study done that indicated that plants grow faster when exposed to bird song. So why not chickens? Sounds like excellent fodder for a science experiment to me. Even starting with egglets. They respond to chicken sounds. I bet they would also respond positively to music. Rap might just kill them though.

I think there have been some experiments done re: poultry and music.  I know that many farmers play classical music in their barns, saying that it boosts milk production.  Also, there was a study done that indicated that plants grow faster when exposed to bird song.  So why not chickens?  Sounds like excellent fodder for a science experiment to me.  Even starting with egglets.  They respond to chicken sounds.  I bet they would also respond positively to music.  Rap might just kill them though.

That was my line of thinking! Surely if plants benefit from music then chickens will too. And I'm very picky on what music they listen to, nothing too loud or violent!

Back
Top Bottom