Effect of Street Light on Egg Laying in the Winter

May 14, 2019
North Florida
The coop my layers roost in sits on a hill underneath one of the main power poles. It has its own street light that has been out for a couple of years. It’s the kind of standard street light that has a yellow or brownish hue. I am thinking of getting the power company to fix it. Has anyone found that street lights around their coops function the same as supplemental coop light for the purposes of stimulating egg laying in the winter?

Has anyone found that street lights around their coops function the same as supplemental coop light for the purposes of stimulating egg laying in the winter?

I don't know for sure, but I have had similar wonders.

There was one summer when I split an order of chicks with a friend, so we each had pullets of the same breeds from the same source.

Some of my pullets started laying during the winter, while my friend's pullets all waited for spring.

My coop was where light could shine on it from some windows of my house, while my friend's coop was placed where light from the house did not shine on it.

There were probably some other differences too, but I certainly did wonder about the light!

Back
Top Bottom