Effect on what a chook eats on their egg quality

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chookie57, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Chookie57

Chookie57 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Imagine our horror when one of the girls jumped into the compost bin that my husband was turning over and proceeded to eat the baby mice (still without fur) that were disturbed.

We can't bring ourselves to eat the eggs laid since the great mouse baby massacre!

Any ideas how long it will take for the effects baby mice in the diet to finish contributing to egg production? Or are we just being grossed out by the idea and should just get over ourselves?

2. tadaen sylverma

tadaen sylverma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    Get over it as you say. They are omnivores. They eat worms / bugs / anything really. I feed mine the grubs i find in the compost. Isn't different. Just think of it as a good protein source that provides more egg output.

Disturbing yes. But just a part of the circle of life. You might not eat an egg or chicken meat ever again if you realized what those birds eat when left to their own devices free range or in a run.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Chookie57

Chookie57 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Thank you for your words of wisdom... Yes our girls are savages when it comes to things that squirm and crawl throughout our garden as they roam free.

We agree it was a good way to get rid of the mice rather than having to kill them ourselves it's just the brain does a bit of flip if one thinks about it too much.

4. tadaen sylverma

tadaen sylverma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2014
    I know this is an odd way of looking at it but as far as over-thinking something I liken it to changing a diaper. If you think about it enough it is almost impossible to comprehend what you are doing. But think about end result not the deed itself. Makes it tolerable. At least for me.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  5. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    I'd much rather eat the eggs of chickens that have been eating baby mice than dog poo [​IMG] our birds are disgusting [​IMG]

Shock & horror for them when DH finishes their run, no more of THAT behavior then. [​IMG]

The dogs eat the chicken poo & the chickens eat the dog poo - those poo's probably don't know what to do out there or which animal they came from anymore!
    [​IMG]

Totally gross, although we've still been eating the eggs..... fortunately the egg forms in a different tract! I can't afford to be fussy either, the eggs taste like... well.... egg. I am not however, eating any of those birds until the buggers are in a run! [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    PINKIES!!!! What a treat for them! What good job they did keeping pests out of their feed for you!

Chickens will eat just about anything they can catch....snakes, frogs, birds..... yes, birds, even chickens.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chookie57

Chookie57 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Thank you all for your responses.

Several days on and it's becoming a fuzzy memory, yeah!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by