Effective one time Worming

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jadeybaby70, Aug 3, 2011.

1. jadeybaby70

jadeybaby70 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Hi all. I let my girls out of the coop this morning and one of them squatted for a rather large poo right away. I noticed it looked kinda bubbly and so took a closer look to ensure all was well. As I did so, I noticed that they weren't bubbles at all but squirming little worms. I have no idea what kind they are because they don't look like the round worms I have seen before. They are small and thin and the round worms I have seen are rather large. The only wormer my feed store sells is Wazine which I bought but am hesitant to use because there is an egg withdraw period. Then from what I've read, I would have to retreat with a more effective wormer like ivermectin which would require another withdraw period. Is there a one shot wormer that I can use that covers all worms and is still safe for my hens. I'm all for treating with cayenne and DE in between worming treatments but please don't suggest them for now. I obviously have an infestation. [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Cayenne pepper and DE arnt wormers. You are most likely dealing with cecal worms. Cecal worms can also carry a protozoa that causes histomoniasis, or blackhead disease in chickens and turkeys. It is more deadly in turkeys. I recommend that you dose your chickens with valbazen (albendazole.) It is a cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is given orally, 1/2cc for standard size and 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Repeat dosing in 10 days.
    You can also use safeguard liquid goat wormer. Dosage is given orally, 1cc for giants, 3/4cc for large fowl, 1/2cc for standards, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. Repeat dosing in 10 days.
    Both wormers have a total of 24 days withdrawal from start to finish. ETA: There is no " effective one time worming." You need to reworm to kill larva that hatched since the initial worming, to break their lifecycle.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  3. jadeybaby70

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Thanks Dawg, I was hoping to get a response from you. I know that you have a lot of experience and knowledge pertaining to worming. So, the valbazen and safeguard goat wormer are safe to use on the chickens, if used in the mentioned doses? If there is a chance that they may become ill, I'd prefer to go with another treatment. I was wondering about the spot on treatments too. Is Ivermectin the only wormer available in this form and have you ever used or recommend using the spot on traetments? Just seems so much easier for a busy gal like me [​IMG] Thanks!!

4. jadeybaby70

Jul 10, 2009
    Alameda
    Oh one more question....sorry. Are the treatments you suggested broad spectrum as to catch any other buggers in my flocks? So, I guess, would I use these for my biannual treatment as well? Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by